GENUKI Home page    Grinton Parish Grinton
Parish

In 1822, the following places were in


the Parish of Grinton:


"ANGRAM, a hamlet in the township of Muker in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 10 miles W. of Grinton, 7 miles NW. of Askrigg."


"BARF END, in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West. Pop. included with Melbecks. in the parish of Grinton, 5½ miles W. of Grinton, 5 miles W. off Reeth."


"BIRKDALE, in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 12 miles W. of Grinton, 7 miles NW. of Muker."


"BLADES, 2 or 3 houses in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West. Pop. included with Melbecks. 4 miles W. of Grinton, 3½ miles WNW. of Reeth."


"CALVERT HOUSES, in the parish of Grinton, township of Muker, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; (the seat of Major Metcalfe); 7½ miles W. of Grinton."


"COGDEN HALL, (the seat of Matthew Whitelock, Esq.) in the township of Grinton, and parish of Grinton; ½ mile E. of Grinton, 1½ mile from Reeth, 7 from Leyburn."


"CRACKPOT, in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 4¾ miles W. of Grinton, 4 miles WSW. of Reeth. Situated on the south side of the river Swale in Swaledale. At the source of a brook that runs past it in its road to the river, is a curious cavern, the entrance of which is extremely narrow. A few yards from the entrance is a spacious cavern; proceeding a few paces further, it descends rather abruptly, at the bottom cavern is a deep water issuing out of the rock below, near which there is a curious pillar of solid stone. The narrow passages beyond it is not safe to traverse.

" At Crackpot were dug up, in the year 1809, several pieces of iron armour, together with several battle axes (I presume) of the same metal; and about a mile from this place is a valley, called the bloody vale, the scene unquestionably of a sanguinary combat at some remote period." -Whitaker. Crackpot is about 3 miles westward of the encampment, called Maiden-Castle. -Ibid."


"FEETHAM, in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West. Pop. included with Melbecks. 3¾ miles W. of Grinton, 3 miles W. of Reeth."


"FREMINGTON, in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; ¼ mile N. of Grinton, 1 mile E. of Reeth. Here is a Free School, founded and endowed in 1643, by James Hutchinson, formerly of All Hallows parish, York, merchant and alderman, a native of this place. His relict, Mary Hutchinson, left an estate, situate at Gate Fulford, near York, the rents to be divided between this school and the poor croppers of Wakefield."


"FRITH, (High Frith and Low Frith), 2 houses in the township of Muker, and parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 10 miles WNW. of Grinton, 9 miles NNW. of Askrigg. (Low Frith is now Frith Lodge - 2002, CH)"


"GREENS, 2 farm houses in the township of Muker, and parish of Grinton; 10 miles W. of Grinton."


"GRINTON LODGE, (a shooting residence of the Rev. William Carr Fenton, now occupied by Col. Hilyard) in the township of Grinton, and parish of Grinton; half a mile south of Grinton." (There is further information for Grinton Lodge).


"GUNNERSIDE, (and Lodge Green) in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West. Pop. included with Melbecks. 6 miles W. of Grinton, 5 miles N. of Askrigg."


"HARKERSIDE, in the township and parish of Grinton; 1¼ miles W. of Grinton, 2½ miles from Reeth. Houses scattered on the mountain side."


"HARTLAKES, 3 houses in the township of Muker, and parish of Grinton; 9 miles W. of Grinton, 1 mile SE of Keld on the NE slopes of Kisdon."


"HEALAUGH, in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2 miles WNW. of Grinton, 1½ miles SW. of Reeth. This village is situated in Swaledale, between two hills, Harker to the South, and Calva to the North. The land in the valley is particularly fertile, and divided into small lots for the accommodation of miners.

On a very lofty site, on the great projection of Hertay, on the south side of the Swale, opposite to the village of Healaugh, and commanding a very extensive view of Swaledale, is an encampment called Maiden Castle. It is as nearly circular as the nature of the ground will admit, and the ditches still continue deep and wide. On the east-side is an avenue, about 120 yards long, leading towards it, and formed by stones gathered from the adjoining common. Near the east-end of the avenue, but towards the north, is a large barrow of stones and gravel, which has been imperfectly opened, and of which tradition reports, that it yet contains an iron chest filled with money. About 300 yards south-west from the encampment is another oblong barrow, about 6 yards high, and further west are the remains of several cairns. -Whitaker"


"HIGH OXNOP, 3 farm houses in the parish of Grinton, township of Muker, wapentake of Hang West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 7¼ miles W. of Grinton, 3 miles SE. of Muker.

In 1764 died, in the l25th year of his age, George Kirton, of Oxnop-Hall, near Reeth, esq. a gentleman more remarkable for fox hunting than the famous Draper. He followed the chase till he was upwards of 80, and so great was his desire for the diversion of hunting, that he regularly attended unkennelling the fox, in his single horse chaise till he was 100 years old. He made free with his bottle until within 10 years of his death. -Annual register, 1764."


"IVELET, in the parish of Grinton, township of Muker, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 7 miles W. of Grinton, 5 miles NNW. of Askrigg; is situated upon an eminence on the northern banks of the Swale. Near Ivelet is a waterfall of fifteen or sixteen yards upon Ivelet beck, in a very secluded and romantic dell, the sides of which are well covered with wood, and the rocks which form the fall meet nearly at a point, and are fringed with the mountain ash, the hazel, &c. a little above is another, called Yew Force, not quite so large as Ivelet, but from its particular situation, attracts the attention of travellers."


"KEARTON, in the parish of Grinton and wapentake of Gilling West. Pop. included with Melbecks. 3¼ miles W. of Grinton, 3 miles WNW. of Reeth."


"KELD, in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 10 miles W. of Grinton, 8 miles NW. of Askrigg. Here is a Calvinist chapel, erected in the year 1745, of which the Rev. Edward Stillman is minister.

About one mile SE. of Keld is Kisden Force, a most beautiful waterfall: the fall is from twelve to fifteen yards high, the rocks that surround it forming a complete amphitheatre, beautifully fringed with underwood, which has a fine effect when contrasted with the barren hills and uncultivated wastes by which this place is surrounded. On the site of the ancient Chapel, said to have been demolished in a riot of the inhabitants, previous to 1580, and which Bacon states to be in ruins, is now a dissenting Chapel of the independent connection."


"LOW OXNOP, in the parish of Grinton, township of Muker, wapentake of Gilling West, & liberty of Richmondshire; 7¼ miles W. of Grinton, 2½ miles SE. of Muker."


"LOW ROW, in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West; 4 miles W. of Grinton, 4 miles W. of Reeth. Pop. included with Melbecks."


"MELBECKS, (township of) in the parish of Grinton, and wapentake of Gilling West, contains the several villages and hamlets, whose population amounts to 1726."


"MUKER, in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 8½ miles W. of Grinton, 6 miles NNW. of Askrigg. Here is a Chapel of Ease to the parish church which is dedicated to St. Mary, and was consecrated August 3rd, 1580, and of which the Rev. John Clemison is curate. This township comprises the high part of Swaledale, adjoining to Westmoreland, and is 10 miles in extent from east to west, being divided into ten divisions, or hamlets. There is at Muker a Grammar school for the education of six poor children, with an endowment of 20. a year: and also a subscription library, established in 1819. The market, which has been established by custom, is held on Wednesday, and is well supplied with the necessaries of life. There is likewise an annual fair for sheep and general merchandise, held on the Wednesday next before Old Christmas day. The north side of the Dale abounds with lead mines; there is also a good vein of iron ore, with coal and lime. The only natural curiosity is the cascade, called Keasden Force, which is formed by the Swale falling over some rugged rocks, into a very secluded and romantic dell, about two miles and a half north west of Muker. The whole population of the township amounts to 1425."


"PARADISE, a hamlet in the parish of Grinton, and wapentake of Gilling West; 4 miles W. of Grinton, 4 miles W. of Reeth."


"PARK HALL, in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West and liberty of Richmondshire; 2½ miles W. of Grinton, 2 miles W. of Reeth Formerly the residence of Thomas Lord Wharton. It is situated in Swaledale, in the township of Melbecks, now occupied by a farmer.

Formerly the residence of the Duke of Wharton; and where that family had a park; the hall was built by Thomas, Marquis of Wharton in 1700. -Whitaker."


"POTTING, a hamlet in the township of Melbecks, and parish of Grinton, wapentakes of Hang and Gilling-West; 6 miles W. of Grinton, 5 miles from Reeth, 6 from Leyburn."


"RAMPS HOLME, a hamlet in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West; 8¼ miles W. of Grinton, ½ mile NE. of Muker."


"RASH, 3 houses in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1 mile ESE of Muker."


"RAVENSEAT, a hamlet in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 12 miles WNW. of Grinton, 2 miles NW. of Keld."


"RAW, in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 3 miles NW. of Grinton, 2 miles NW. of Reeth."


"RAW CROFT, (East and West) 2 farm houses in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire ; 2½ miles NW. of Grinton, 2 miles NW. of Reeth."


"REETH, in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; ¾ mile NW. of Grinton, 8 miles from Leyburn, 10 from Richmond, and 10 from Askrigg. Market, Friday. Fairs Fridays before Good-Friday, old May-day, old Midsummer-day, St Bartholomew, old Martinmas-day, St. Thomas' day, for woollen-cloth, pedlary-ware, &c. Principal Inn, Buck. Population 1,460." (There is further information for Reeth).


"RIDDINGS, in the township of Melbecks, and parish of Grinton; 4 miles W. of Grinton, 5 miles from Reeth. A few scattered houses."


"SATRON, (or Satturn) in the parish of Grinton, township of Muker, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 6¾ miles W. of Grinton, 6 miles N. of Askrigg."


"SCAR HOUSES, 4 houses in the township of Muker, and parish of Grinton; 9½ miles W. of Grinton, 10 miles from Reeth."


"SHERFITT HALL, (or Sturfit or Storthwaite Hall) a farm house in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 3 miles from Reeth."


"SPRING END, 2 houses in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West, & liberty of Richmondshire; 5¾ miles W. of Grinton, 6 miles W. of Reeth."


"STORTHWAITE HALL, a hamlet in the township of Reeth, and parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling-West; 3 miles NW. of Grinton, 2 miles from Reeth."


"SUMMER LODGE, a farm house in the township and parish of Grinton; 5½ miles WSW. of Grinton, 5½ from Reeth."


"SWALE HALL, in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of hang West, and liberty of Richmondshire; ¼ mile W. of Grinton, 1½ mile SW. of Reeth, formerly the residence of a gentleman, who subscribed himself " Sir Solomon Swale, of Swale Hall, in Swaledale, fast by the river Swale." This family held lands of the Crown, but had omitted for many years to renew their lease, which, being observed by a clerk in the exchequer office, he procured a grant from the crown, of this estate, for himself: many law suits ensued; but they served only to increase the misfortunes of Sir Solomon, who died a prisoner in the Fleet, in 1678, not however till his adversary had first committed suicide."


"THORNS, in the township of Muker and parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 10 miles W. of Grinton, 8 miles NW. of Askrigg."


"THWAITE, in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 9¾ miles W. of Grinton, 7 miles NW. of Askrigg."


"WEST STONESDALE, (and East Stonesdale) in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 10¼ miles WNW. of Grinton, 10 miles NW. of Askrigg."


"WINTERINGS, 2 or 3 farm houses in the parish of Grinton, wapentake of Gilling West. Pop. included with Melbecks. 6 miles W. NW. of Reeth."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. 2010]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014