Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for GUISBOROUGH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

GUISBOROUGH: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.

"GUISBOROUGH, (given as "GISBOROUGH") a parish in the North Riding of Yorkshire, in Cleveland, and the road from Whitby to Durham, 183 cm. 214 mm. from London, and 4 m. from the mouth of the Tees, where is a bay and harbour for ships. It had formerly an abbey, which was once the common burial- place of the nobility of these parts, and its Ch. by the ruins seems to have been equal to the best cathedrals in England. 'Tis so pleasant a situation, that Camden compared it to Putcoli in Italy: And the inh. are praised by travellers, for their good manners, the neatness of their houses, and the cleanliness of their diet. The coldness of the breezes from the sea is qualified by the intervening hills. The soil, besides its fertility in pasture, and a constant verdure adorned with plenty of field-flowers almost all the year, has earths of sundry colours, some iron, and mines of allom, which were first discovered by Sir Tho. Chaloner, tutor to Pr. Henry son of Jam. I. and have been since very much improved. Sir Paul Pindar, who first farmed them, paid rents to the K. 12,500 l. to the Earl Musgrave, 1640 l. and to Sir Will. Penniman, 600 l. and had moreover 800 men, by sea and land, in constant pay; yet he was a considerable gainer, because there was then scarce any other to be had, and the price was 26 l. a ton. These allom-works were, since that, carried on by the late D. of Buckingham and Normanby, or his agents; but now there are divers other allom-works in this Co. which have taken a great part of the trade from hence; so that the works here have for some years lain neglected. Here is a Mt, on M. and Fairs Aug. 15 and Sep. 8."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016