GENUKI Home page    Hackness Parish<br>main page Hackness
Parish
main page

HACKNESS:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"HACKNESS, a parish in the liberty of WHITBY STRAND, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Harwood-Dale with Silpho, and the townships of Broxa, Hackness, and Suffield with Everley, and containing 632 inhabitants, of which number, 143 are in the township of Hackness, 6 miles N.W. from Scarborough. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, endowed with 1000 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Sir J. V. B. Johnstone, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a very ancient structure. The village is romantically situated in a delightful vale, from which several others run in various directions across the country: the hills which surround the vale are from one hundred to one hundred and twenty yards in perpendicular height, and their steep declivities are profusely adorned with lofty trees of the richest foliage. Springs of water, rushing in natural cascades from the sides of the hills, or falling with gentle murmurs, contribute to the beauty of the scenery; and the Derwent, which has its source in the mountainoxis country to the north, glides in a gentle stream past the village: the whole scene is of a most sublime character. Here was formerly a cell belonging to Whitby abbey, which, at the dissolution, contained four monks of the Benedictine order. "


"BROXA, a township in the parish of HACKNESS, liberty of WHITBY-STRAND, North riding of the county of YORK 7 miles W.N.W. from Scarborough, containing 61 inhabitants."


"EVERLEY, a township, joint with Suffield, in the parish of HACKNESS, liberty of WHITBY-STRAND, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.W. from Scarborough. The population is returned with Suffield."


"HARWOOD DALE, a chapelry, joint with Silpho, in the parish of HACKNESS, liberty of WHITBY-STRAND, North riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles N.W. from Scarborough, containing, exclusively of Silpho, 235 inhabitants."


"SILPHO, a township, joint with Harwood-Dale, in the parish of HACKNESS, liberty of WHITBY-STRAND, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles W.N.W. from Scarborough, containing, exclusively of Harwood-Dale, 96 inhabitants."


"SUFFIELD, a township, joint with Everley, in the parish of HACKNESS, liberty of WHITBY-STRAND, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles W.N.W. from Scarborough, containing, with Everley, 97 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014