Parish main page
Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Ryedale - Electoral Division, Poor-Law Union, County Court District, and Rural Deanery of Helmsley - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
Harome, also spelt Harum, formerly a township under Helmsley, was constituted a separate parish, March 28, 1863. Its boundaries are coterminous with the township, and comprise 2,240 acres, including 1 mile 880 yards of railway. The Earl of Feversham is the principal landowner, and lord of the manor. The soil is sandy, and in some parts clayey, with a gravelly subsoil. Wheat, oats, and barley are the chief crops. The rateable value of the parish is £2,716, and the population in 1881 was 439. The Rye and its tributary, the Riccal, after flowing in a subterranean passage in the limestone rock for about a mile, emerge here within a short distance of each other. Weaving was formerly one of the industries of the township, and the spot where the fulling mill stood is still called Walk Mill.
Harum was once the property and residence of a family bearing the local name, who are named among the benefactors to the abbeys of Rievaulx and Kirkham. The site of their mansion is said to be occupied by the present manor house, where the manorial courts are still held.
The village stands nearly three miles south by east of Helmsley. A chapel-of-ease was erected here at an early period. The present church, dedicated to St. Saviour, was built from the designs of Barry, of London, in 1862, at a cost of £3,000, defrayed by the late Lord Feversham, who also endowed the living. It is a plain stone edifice, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, porch, containing a clock, and a western bell turret, The chancel window of three lights is filled with stained glass. A new organ was added in 1884, at a cost of £130. There are 150 sittings. The living is a vicarage, net value, £160 with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Feversham, and held by the Rev. Randolph Cecil Parsons.
The National school was built about 45 years ago, and has been since enlarged. It will accommodate 80 children, and has an average attendance of 60. Twelve children are taught free from an endowment of £10 a year left by John Stockton in 1839; and the Earl of Feversham contributes £14 annually towards its support.
The Wesleyan chapel dates from the closing years of the last century. It was built by Mr. Smith and Mr. Boyes, and is now the property of the Wesleyan Chapel Society. It will accommodate 200, and is in the Helmsley circuit.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.