"HAWNBY, a parish in the wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Helmsley. The parish, which is very extensive, though sparsely inhabited, contains the townships of Arden-with-Ardenside, Bilsdale, Dale Town, Hawnby, and Snitesworth. It is watered by the river Rye, and comprises the extensive moor of Bumbledon. Here was a Benedictine nunnery, founded in 1150, and valued at the Dissolution at £12. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £200. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The charities produce £3 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a National school."
"ARDEN WITH ARDENSIDE, a township in the parish of Hawnby, wapentake of Birdforth, in the North Riding of the county of York, 7 miles to the N.W. of Helmsley. A Benedictine nunnery was founded here about the middle of the 12th century. There is a small endowment by John Smales and Gregory Elsley, for the education of six boys. The district is principally moorland. Arden Hall is the chief residence."
"BILSDALE WEST SIDE, a township in the parish of Hawnby, wapentake of Birdforth, in the North Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the S.E. of Stokesley. It includes the district of Easter-Side, with part of that of Ladhill Gate, and the hamlet of Fangdale Beck."
"DALE TOWN, a township in the parish of Hawnby, in the wapentake of Bridforth, in the North Riding of the county of York, 6½ miles N.W. of Helmsley and 10 N.E. of Thirsk. It is situated on the river Rye. There is a school with a small endowment."
"FANGDALE BECK, a hamlet in the township of Bilsdale Westside and parish of Hawnby, North Riding county York, 6 miles S.E. of Stokesley."
"SNILESBY, (or Snilesworth), a township in the parish of Hawnby, wapentake of Bridforth, North Riding county York, 8 miles N.W. of Helmsby, its post town, and 11 N.E. of Thirsk."