GENUKI Home page    Hawnby Parish Hawnby
Parish

In 1822, the following places were in


the Parish of Hawnby:


"ARDEN, (with Ardenside) in the parish of Hawnby, and wapentake of Birdforth; 1½ miles WNW. of Hawnby, 7½ miles NE. of Thirsk. D'Arcy Tancred, Esq. resides at the hall. Population with Arden Side, 139.

Here Peter de Horton founded a Priory, about the year 1150, for Nuns of the Benedictine Order. -Dugdale. Not a vestige of it now remains. -Ed."


"BILSDALE WEST SIDE, in the parish of Hawnby, wapentake of Birdforth; 4 miles N. of Hawnby, 8 miles NNW. of Helmsley. Pop. 127."


"BUMPER CASTLE, (a Shooting-Box) in the township of Bilsdale, West-side, and parish of Hawnby; 1¾ miles NNE. of Hawnby, 8 miles from Helmsley."


"DALE TOWN, in the parish of Hawnby, and wapentake of Birdforth; ¾ mile SSW. of Hawnby, 6 miles NW. of Helmsley. Here is a cliff, called Peak Scarr. Pop. 68."


"EASTERSIDE, a farm house in the township of Bilsdale West-side and parish of Hawnby, wapentake of Birdforth; ¾ mile ESE. of Hawnby, 7 miles NW. of Helmsley."


"LIMEKILN HOUSE, a single house in the township of Arden, and parish of Hawnby; 9 miles from Northallerton, 10 from Thirsk."


"RAINSDALE GRAVEN, in the parish of Hawnby, and wapentake of Birdforth; 8 miles NNW. of Helmsley."


"SNILESWORTH, in the parish of Hawnby, and wapentake of Birdforth ; 4 miles NNW. of Hawnby, 10 miles NW. of Helmsley."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. 2010]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014