"HAXBY, a parish within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, though locally in the wapentake of Buhner, North riding, of the county of YORK, 4 miles N. from York, containing 417 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, within the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Prebendary of Strensall in the Cathedral Church of York. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]