"HAXBY, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 4 miles N. of York, its post town. It is a station on the York and Scarborough railway. The village, which is small, is pleasantly situated on the W. side of the vale of the river Foss. The land is divided into two manors termed East and West End, belonging to the prebendaries of Driffield and Strensall. Two-thirds of the land is arable, and the remainder pasture and woodland. Here are some brick and tile works. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Strensall, in the diocese of York, joint value £550, in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The parochial charities produce £3 per annum. A National school was erected here in 1851."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013