Wapentake of Bulmer - Petty Sessional Division of Bulmer East - Electoral Division of Clifton - Poor Law Union and County Court District of York - Rural Deanery of Easingwold - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
This parish, containing about 2,200 acres, lies on the west side of the river Foss, which debouches into the Ouse at York, The greater portion of the land was, until the later years of last century, unenclosed common. The surface is generally level, and the soil sandy resting on clay. For rating purposes it is valued at £4,642, of which sum, £720 is assessed on the North Eastern Railway Co., for that portion of their line (1½ miles) which passes through the parish. The population in 1881 was 559.
Haxby was formerly granted in moieties to the prebendaries of Driffield and Strensall in York Cathedral, each moiety becoming a distinct manor. Subsequently the Ecclesiastical Commissioners succeeded to all the rights of the prebendaries and sold the two manors called East End and West End, to Edward Wande and Leonard Thompson respectively, who were the then lessees. W. B. Richardson and Henry Cowling, Esqrs., are joint lords of the manor, and with the trustees of the late Alfred Walker, Esq., Edward Hodgson, Francis Theakstone, J. F. Bairstow, W. S. Hornby, John Hodgson, John Illingworth,. Mrs. Briskham, J. L. Pexton, Alderman James Melrose, and William Hodgson, are the principal landowners. There are also several copyholders.
The village of Haxby stands a little west of the Foss, four miles N. of York,. and about a quarter of a mile from Haxby station on the York and Scarborough branch of the North Eastern railway. Haxby Hall is a modern brick structure standing in a park of about 20 acres. It is the property of the trustees of the late Alfred Walker, Esq., and the residence of Mr. Henry Leetham.
The church (St. Mary) dates from the 16th century, but was totally rebuilt in 1878, at a cost of £2,300, raised by subscription. It is in the Early English style, and comprises chancel, nave, south porch, ahd western tower containing two bells. The east window is a handsome stained glass memorial of three members of the Hodgson family. The nave is seated with open benches, and will accommodate 200. The registers date from 1678. The living formerly a perpetual curacy annexed to Strensall, was constituted a separate vicarage in 1862. It is in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and is worth £300 a year, which is derived from a rent-charge of £24, payable out of 70 acres of land and six cottages originally left to the church, and held for a long period by various copyholders, and grant from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. In addition to the church lands above mentioned 5 acres, 2 roods, 37 poles of land, were allotted in lieu of small tithes at the inclosure of the common in 1770., The Rev. Richard Bradley, L.Th. is the present vicar. The vicarage house is a neat and commodious brick building erected by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1864, at a cost of £1,700, and is situated on Haxby Moor, about a quarter of a mile from the church.
The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have also chapels in the parish. That belonging to the former body is a large white brick building, erected in 1879, at a cost of £1,400, in place of their former chapel which was then converted into a dwelling house.
The educational affairs of Haxby are managed by a School Board of five members, formed in 1876, and the following year a commodious school with clock tower was erected at a cost of £2,200. It is mixed and attended by 101 children.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.
any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016