"HELMSLEY, a parish in the North Riding of Yorkshire, in Rhidal-Vale, near the r. Rhye, with a brook running through it, 165 cm. 197 mm. from London, had formerly a castle for defence of this part against the Scots invaders, and was a seat of the late D. of Buckingham. Its Mt. is S."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]