GENUKI Home page    Helmsley Parish Helmsley
Parish

In 1822, the following places were in


the Parish of Helmsley:


"BILSDALE KIRKHAM, a hamlet in the parish of Helmsley, and wapentake of Rydale; 11 miles NNW. from Helmsley. Population included in Bilsdale-Midcable. The Church is a perpetual curacy, value, p.r. 60L. 15s. 0d. Patron, the Vicar of Helmsley."


"BILSDALE MIDCABLE, (or Bilsdale East Side), a township in the parish of Helmsley, & wapentake of Rydale; 7 miles NNW. of Helmsley. Here is a church under Helmsley, incumbent the Rev. John Dixon, in the gift of the vicar of Helmsley, likewise a Meeting-house for the Society of Friends. Population, including Bilsdale Kirkham, 780. (see also next paragraph)

BILSDALE MIDCABLE, in the parish of Helmsley, is a chapelry on the east side of Ryedale extending 7 to 12 miles N by W of Helmsley including the hamlets of Crosett and Chapel-Yate. 759 inhabitants 8380 acres of land. Lord Feversham is Lord of the Manor. Stoadfast Hill on the moors is the site of a Druids' Temple. It was discovered in 1824. The Chapel of Ease (St Hilda) is the head of a deep romantic dale 6 miles S by E of Stokesley. [Description from White's 1840 gazetteer]"


"CARLTON, in the parish of Helmsley, wapentake of Rydale; 2 miles N. of Helmsley."


"DUNCOMBE PARK, (the seat of Charles Duncombe, Esq.) in the township of Rievalx, and parish of Helmsley; mile SW. from Helmsley." (There is further information for Duncombe Park).


"HAROME, in the parish of Helmsley, and wapentake of Rydale; 2 miles ESE. of Helmsley. Here is a Chapel of Ease, of which the Rev. George Dixon, is curate; also a Methodist chapel. Population, 461."


"HARRIET AIR, in the parish of Helmsley, & wapentake of Rydale; 2 miles WNW. of Helmsley."


"HIGH CROSSETT, (and Low Crossett) 2 farm houses in the township of Bilsdale-Midcable and parish of Helmsley, and wapentake of Rydale; 7 miles NNW. of Helmsley."


"LASKILL, or LASKILL-PASTURE, scattered farms in the parish of Helmsley, and wapentake of Rydale; 5 miles NNW. of Helmsley. Pop. 91."


"MOOR HOUSES, in the parish of Helmsley, and wapentake of Rydale; 4 miles from Helmsley."


"POCKLEY, in the parish of Helmsley, and wapentake of Rydale ; 2 miles NE. of Helmsley. In the year 1822, a very neat Chapel of Ease was built here by C. Duncombe, Esq. of Duncombe Park. Pop. 227."


"RIEVAULX, in the parish of Helmsley, and wapentake of Rydale; 2 miles WNW. of Helmsley."


"RIEVAULX ABBEY, in the parish of Helmsley, and wapentake of Rydale; 2 miles WNW. of Helmsley." (There is further information for Rievaulx Abbey).


"SOUR LEYS, in the parish of Helmsley, and wapentake of Rydale; 3 miles NW. of Helmsley."


"SPROXTON, in the parish of Helmsley and wapentake of Rydale; 1 miles S. of Helmsley, Pop. 167."


"SPROXTON COTE, (now Court House Farm) a farm house in the township of Sproxton, and parish of Helmsley; 1 miles SW. of Helmsley."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. 2010]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014