"HILTON, a parish in the western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles E.S.E. from Yarm, containing 135 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with £1000 royal bounty. Lord G. H. Cavendish was patron in 1818."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]