"HINDERWELL, a parish in the E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 9 miles N.W. of Whitby, its railway station and post town. It is situated on the coast, and contains the villages of Roxby, Runswick, and Staithes. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the fisheries. Ironstone is worked. In 1603 an Algerine ship infected with the plague was wrecked upon this coast, and communicated the disease to the inhabitants of the village, many of whom died. The living is a rectory* annexed to the curacy of Roxby, in the diocese of York, value £494. The church is a stone structure erected in 1817, and has a square tower containing two bells. It is dedicated to St. Hilda, and in the churchyard is a holy well called St. Hilda's, which has given name to the parish. The parochial charities produce about £5 12s. 6d. per annum. The Marquis of Normanby is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
"ROXBY, a township and chapelry in the parish of Hinderwell, E. division of Langbaurgh liberty, North Riding county York, 10 miles N.W. of Whitby. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1804. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory* of Hinderwell, in the diocese of York. The church has a small tower."
"RUNSWICK, a village in the township and parish of Hinderwell, liberty of East Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 7 miles N.W. of Whitby. It is situated on the cliffs of Runswick Bay, the entrance to which is choked with sand, though it contains anchorage in 5 fathoms. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the fisheries."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
by Colin Hinson ©2013