Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades
for HINDERWELL in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.
- Post, Money Order, Telegraph Office, and Savings Bank; Matt. Jefferson, postmaster. Letters
arrive at 8-2 a.m., and are despatched at 4 p.m. Wall Letter Box at Mickleby cleared at
2-15 p.m. Letters should be addressed Hinderwell, R.S.O., Yorks.
- Burial Board. - Dr. Laverick, chairman; William Jefferson, clerk. Nine members.
- Local Board. - Dr. Laverick, chairman; William Jefferson, clerk, surveyor, collector, and
inspector. Twelve members.
- School Board; Schools at Staithes and Hinderwell. - Wm. Jefferson, clerk and
Miscellany of trades
- Adamson William, master mariner
- Barber Richard Henry, physician and surgeon, and at Loftus, R.S.O.
- Bennison John, shop assistant
- Board Schools; Mixed, Hy. Williams; Infants, Miss Anne Wilkinson
- Burn Henry, grocer, &c.
- Duell Mrs. Mary
- Dunning Fred. Barr, butcher and flour dealer
- Featherstone John, vict., Brown Cow
- Gibbon George, butcher
- Gibbon John, tailor and farmer
- Gibbon William, managing tailor
- Harker Jonah, station master
- Harrison Elizabeth, grocer, &c.
- Hawkins Jonah, sergeant of police
- Hazeltine William, mason
- Henry Geo. Wm., vict. and butcher, Shoulder of Mutton
- Jackson William, artist
- Jefferson Hannah, draper, &c.
- Jefferson John, joiner, &c.
- Jefferson Matthew, grocer, bootmaker, &c.
- Jefferson William (Skelton & Jefferson)
- Jefferson William, assistant overseer &c.
- Jefferson William, saddler, &c.
- Laverick J. Valentine, physician & surgeon, &c.
- Ling William Burton, master mariner
- Mann John, engine repairer
- Marley Henry, joiner
- Marley William, joiner
- Marshall Mrs. Jane
- Marshall Mr. William
- McClaulin William, grocer, &c.
- Pearson Thomas, shoemaker
- Readman James, joiner
- Sanderson John Trattles, master mariner
- Scarth William, tailor, &c., and at Staithes
- Sims Rev. Herbert Marsh, rector
- Sims Rev. William James, curate
- Skelton & Jefferson, drapers and grocers, and at Staithes
- Taylor Henry, cowkeeper
- Thompson William George, master mariner, Nun's house
- Welford Mrs. Margaret
- Welford Ralph, joiner
- Benstead William James, Newton
- Dawson John
- Dawson Robert, Seaton hall
- Featherstone Thomas, junior
- Featherstone Thomas, senior
- Gibbon John
- Laverick William
- Mumby John, High farm
- Tyerman Joseph Henry
- Webster Thomas
- Willis Robert, Cliff hall
- Postal address for Roxby is Roxby, Staithes, R.S.O.; and for Scaling and Tranmire, Scaling,
Miscellany of trades
- Duell Isaac, vict., Fox Inn
- Featherstone George, bootmaker
- Keeling John Edward, schoolmaster
- Readman William, mason
- Swalwell Lot, blacksmith
- Welford George William, joiner, Scaling
- Welford Matthew, joiner
- Collins Robert, Lt. Scaling
- Duell James, Dale house
- Forster Thomas, Tranmire
- Hutchinson Thomas, Scaling
- Legg Joseph, High villa
- Legg William, Park house
- March Mary, Birch Hill beck, Scaling
- Peirson George, Moor hill, Scaling
- Potter Thomas, Birch hill, Scaling
- Sellers Thomas, Moorhouse
- Welford John, Oak house
- Welford Joseph, Home farm
- Welford Joseph, Manor house
- Welford Ralph, Ridge lane
- Welford Robert, Midge hall
- White George, Scaling
STAITHES AND RUNSWICK TOWNSHIP.
- Post, Money Order, Telegraph Office, and Savings Bank, Staithes, R.S.O.; John Laverick
postmaster. Deliveries, 8-30 a.m.; Sundays, 10-20 a.m. Despatches, 4-10 p.m.; Sundays,
- Runswick, Hinderwell, R.S.O. Wall Box, collection 3-10 p.m.
Miscellany of trades
- Adamson Geo. Francis, shoemaker
- Adamson John, farmer
- Adamson Mrs. Margaret, dressmaker
- Adamson Thomas, agent to Prudential Assurance Co., and hon. sec. to Conservative Asso.
- Andrews James, butcher
- Ashworth Emma, vict., Royal George
- Atkinson Robert, fish merchant and vict., White Horse, and auctioneer
- Bennison John, carter
- Bennison Thomas, joiner
- Boyes John, tailor and clothier
- Boyes Samuel, pig dealer, &c.
- Boyt Bidkar, chief boatman
- Brewster John, grocer
- Brown Mrs. Patience
- Brown Robert, grocer
- Brown Wm., Runswick Bay hs. - (See Advt.)
- Burn Richard, grocer and boot dealer
- Campbell Rev. - . (Primitive)
- Carter Miss Hannah, Board school (girls)
- Clark Simon, master mariner
- Co-operative Store (Loftus branch); John Buchannan, manager
- Codling John, confectioner, &c.
- Cole Daniel, baker
- Cole Daniel, fisherman
- Cole Mrs. Mary Ann, grocer
- Cole Mary, grocer, &c.
- Cole Thomas, fisherman
- Cooper Isaac, master mariner
- Coulthirst John, fish dealer
- Coulthirst Thomas Webster, general smith
- Crooks Mrs. Mary Ann, shopkeeper
- Crooks Thomas Verrill, fisherman
- Dix Richard, deputy miner
- Dunn Robert, pork butcher and carter
- Eland Miss Mary Jane, schoolmistress
- Elliott Mr. Robert
- Featherstone Robert, grocer
- Fell John, fisherman
- Fisherman's Institute: sec., Capt. Jas. Pinder: librarian, Geo. Hodgson
- Frank Robert, draper and boot dealer
- Hancock Rev. - . (Congregational)
- Hansell Miss Hannah, grocer
- Hansell Thomas, grocer and draper
- Hansell Thomas, joiner
- Harburn James, chemist
- Henry Thomas, butcher
- Hick Thomas, fishmonger
- Hill Peter Wm., station master, &c.
- Hodgson George, librarian
- Hodgson John, Cliff house, Port Mulgrave
- Hodgson Thomas, butcher and flour dealer
- Hutty Edward Hy., vict., Station Hotel
- Johnson Geo., vict., Royal Hotel, Runswick
- Jowsey William, baker, Runswick
- Julyan Anne, grocer and vict., Port Mulgrave
- Lane Laviia, vict., Cod and Lobster
- Laverick George Delaval, grocer, &c.
- Laverick George, master mariner
- Laverick John, postmaster, and agent for Yorkshire Fire & Life
- Leahy Rev. Patrick Joseph (Catholic)
- Legg John, blacksmith
- Lifeboat; coxswains, Charles Horne, George Tose, Runswick
- Lloyd Geo., vict., Shoulder of Mutton
- McNally Andrew, carter, Runswick
- Mead Andrew, grocer
- Mead Miss Eleanor, draper
- Newton Jph. Brown, grocer, draper, & butcher
- Palmer's Shipbuilding & Iron Co., Limited, Port Mulgrave; res. manager, John Bruce;
cashier, Joseph Stephenson
- Pinder Mr. James
- Robinson John Joseph, master mariner
- Rodham Mr. Thomas
- Rodham Thos., junr., boat builder and joiner
- Sadler Thomas, master, Board school
- Sanderson Samuel, blacksmith
- Sayer Robert, lodgings, &c., Runswick. - (See Advt.)
- Scarth William, tailor and clothier
- Seymour Francis, grocer and draper
- Seymour Mr. Richard
- Skelton & Jefferson, grocers and drapers
- Smales William Sowerby, tailor
- Spink James, farmer and vict., Black Lion
- Spink Thomas, vict., Golden Lion
- Steward Edward, market gardener
- Stonehouse Wm., boot and shoe maker
- Theaker Mr. John
- Theaker Ralph, fisherman
- Tiplady Mrs. Isabel, Runswick
- Trattles Mrs. Alice, general dealer
- Trattles John, master mariner
- Verrill Ellen, vict., Freemasons' Arms
- Verrill John Richard, fisherman
- Verrill John Richard, general dealer
- Verrill Joseph, grocer and draper, &c.
- Waller John, lodgings, Sea View cottage, Runswick
- Weatherill Edward, master mariner
- Webster Robert, grocer, &c., Runswick
- Welford John, boot and shoe dealer
- Wilson John, butcher
- Woodwark George, lodgings, Sand Side house, Runswick
- York City County Bank, Whitby branch; Friday; F. Richardson, agent
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014