|Yorkshire||North Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"HINDERWELL, (or Hilderwell) a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 8 miles NW. of Whitby. The church, dedicated to St. Hilda (see Churches for photograph), is a very ancient edifice; the living is a rectory, in the patronage of Lady M. Boynton, and the Rev. William Smith is the incumbent. In the church yard there is a well, or spring of pure water, called St. Hilda's well, near which, it is conjectured, she had an occasional retreat, which not only still retains her name, but communicates the same to the parish. Rowland thinks it probable that, in very distant ages, churches were dwelling-houses for the priests, as well as places of worship, for the people; and that therefore they were generally built near a well of clear water. In the year 1603 a plague, contracted from a Turkish ship stranded on the coast, broke out in this village, and raged for six weeks, carrying off a number of the inhabitants, but fortunately did not extend its baneful influence to any of the neighbouring villages. Pop. 1483."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Dalehouse Mill
- Little Scaling
- Seaton Hall
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]