"HOLTBY, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of York, its post town, and 2 S.W. of Gate Helmsley railway station, on the York and Market Weighton branch of the North-Eastern line. The village, which is small, is situated W. of the York and Hull turnpike road, and is wholly agricultural. The soil is sandy, and two-thirds of the land arable, the remainder meadow and pasture. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £184. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £248. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is a small brick structure, rebuilt in 1792. The parochial charities produce about £16 per annum. John Agar, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013