Parish main page
Wapentake of Bulmer - Petty Sessional Division of Bulmer East - Electoral Division of Flaxton - Poor Law Union and County Court District of York - Rural Deanery of Bulmer - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
Holtby is a small parish, containing about 1,000 acres, of which 874 are under assessment. The rateable value is £1,469, and the number of inhabitants 136. Miss Agar, Brockfield, Stockton-on-the-Forest, and Sir James Walker, Bart., Sand Hutton, are the principal owners; the manorial rights belong to the former. The York and Market Weighton railway skirts the parish, and there is a station about two miles from the village, until recently called Gate Helmsley, but now changed to Holtby.
The village, which received its name from the presence of some holt or coppice wood, is pleasantly situated about 5 miles east of York, The Church (Holy Trinity) is a plain brick edifice, rebuilt in 1792, repaired in 1841, and again restored in 1881. The living is a rectory, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, of the value of £242, derived from the commuted tithe rent-charge of £184, and 50 acres of glebe land. The present rector is the Rev. Richard Surtees, M.A., who has held the benefice since 1851.
CHARITIES. - John Straker, in 1669, bequeathed a cottage and 12½ acres of land, which now lets for about £13 a year, but subject to the yearly payment of £5, for charitable purposes in York, Murton, and Osbaldwick; and James Twinam, in 1773, left for the benefit of the poor of Holtby and Dunnington, equally, four acres of land, in the latter parish, now let for £10 per annum.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.