"HORNBY, a parish in the eastern division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Ainderby-Myers with Holtby, Hackforth, and Hornby, and containing, exclusively of portions of the townships of Arrowthorne and Hunton, which are in this parish, 315 inhabitants, of which number, 102 are in the township or Hornby, which is partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, 4 miles S.S.W. from Catterick. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction ana patronage of the Dean and Chapter of York, rated in the king's books at £6. 15. 6. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a small endowment for the instruction of children. In Hackforth is a school for twenty poor boys, to which the Duke of Leeds allows £30 per annum, as a salary for the master. Hornby castle, anciently the seat of the family of St. Quintin, and now belonging to his Grace the Duke of Leeds, is a spacious mansion in different styles of architecture, containing superb apartments, and, by its situation, commanding a fine view of the rich valley of Bedale."
"AINDERBY MYERS, a township joint with Holtby, in the parish of HORNBY, eastern division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.E. from Catterick, containing 79 inhabitants."
"ARROWTHORNE, a township in the parishes of HORNBY, and PATRICK BROMPTON, eastern division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S.S.W. from Catterick, containing 64 inhabitants."
"HACKFORTH, a township in the parish of HORNBY, partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-OF-YORK, but chiefly in the eastern division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S. from Catterick, containing 134 inhabitants."
"HUNTON, a chapelry partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-OF-YORK, East riding, and partly in the parish of HORNBY, eastern division, but chiefly in the parish of BROMPTON-PATRICK, western division, of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.E. from Richmond, containing 496 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, with that of Brompton-Patrick, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £800 royal bounty, and £1000 parliamentary grant. The chapel has been demolished."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]