GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
  Yorkshire Yorkshire   North Riding North Riding   Neighbours Nearby places

The Ancient Parish of HORNBY

[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]

"HORNBY, a parish in the wapentake of Hang East, and liberties of St. Peter's. and Richmondshire; 5 miles NW. of Bedale. Here is a church dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph); the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of York, and the Rev. J. Alderson, is the incumbent. Hornby castle one of the seats of His Grace the Duke of Leeds, is situated in this township. This mansion is a spacious structure of a mixed architecture, and the apartments are grand and superbly finished. The situation is commanding and from the battlements are seen to great advantage the rich and picturesque valley of Bedale, stretching up to the western moors and forming a grand and imposing contrast. Hornby castle was anciently the lordship and seat of the family of St. Quintin, from whom it passed to the Conyers, and ultimately to the Osbornes. Population, 102."


"AINDERBY MYERS, in the parish of Hornby, wapentake of Hang East, & liberty of Richmondshire; 4 miles W. of Hornby, 4 miles N. of Bedale. Population including Holtby, 79."


"HACKFORTH, in the parish of Hornby, wapentake of Hang East, and liberties of St. Peter's and Richmondshire; 1¼ miles ESE. of Hornby, 4 miles NNW. of Bedale. Pop. 134.

Here was born about 1474, the celebrated Bishop Tunstall. He as a natural son of a Mr. Tunstall, by a daughter of the Conyers family. He studied at Oxford, Cambridge, and at Padua, where he took the degree of Doctor of laws, and was accounted the best Mathematician of his time. He was consecrated Bishop of London in 1522; and the year following made keeper of the Privy Seal. In 1527 he attended Cardinal Wolsey in his pompous embassy into France; and in 1530 was translated to the bishopric of Durham, of which he was deprived in the reign of Elizabeth, for denying her supremacy; having previously been sent to the tower in 1551, where he continued a prisoner till 1553. He died in the Palace at Lambeth, Nov. 18, 1559, when in the custody of Parker, Archbishop of Canterbury. He wrote "De Arte Sopputandi" Lond. 1522, 4to. and 6 other works. -Gen. Biog. Dict. -Nichols Lit. Anecdotes."


"HIGH HOLTBY, in the parish of Hornby, wapentake of Hang East, & liberty of Richmondshire; 3 miles ESE. of Hornby, 4 miles N. of Bedale, of which Thomas Robson, Esq. is the principal inhabitant. Pop. included with Ainderby Myers."


"ROUND HILL, a farm house in the parish of Hornby, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 3 miles NW. of Bedale."


"STREET HOUSE, a farm house in the township of Ainderby-Myers, and parish of Hornby; 2¼ miles E. of Hornby, 3½ miles from Catterick."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. 2010]

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Directories

Gazetteers

Maps

Memorial Inscriptions

Societies


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014