Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for HOVINGHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

HOVINGHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"HOVINGHAM, a parish comprising the township of Scackleton, in the wapentake of BULMER, and the townships of Aryholme with Hawthorpe, Cotton, Fryton, Hovingham, South Holme, and Wath, in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, and containing 1115 inhabitants, of which number, 649 are in the township of Hovingham, 8 miles W.N.W. from NewMalton. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £1500 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Earl of Carlisle. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A small sum was bequeathed, in 1716, by Mrs. Frances Arthington, for the instruction of six poor children: the income is £2. 8. per annum, and-four children are educated. A school was endowed in 1804, by a bequest of £200 from the Rev. James Graves, by means of the dividends upon which twelve children are educated. In a field about one mile from the village are three springs of sulphureous, chalybeate:, and clear water: the medicinal properties of the first have attracted many visitors. Hovingham-hall, anciently the seat of Roger de Mowbray, is now the property of the Worsley family: -in 1745, a Roman hypocaust and-bath, with a piece of tesselated Roman pavement, were discovered in the garden, and near the bath some coins from Antoninus Pius to Constantino; on the side of an adjoining-hill is a breast-work, supposed to be of Roman origin. A vicinal way is believed to have passed through the village, from Malton to Aldborough."


"ARYHOLME, a township, joint with Hawthorpe, in that part of the parish of HOVINGHAM, which is in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 1 miles W. from New Malton, containing 33 inhabitants."


"COTTON, a township in that part of the parish of HOVINGHAM, which is in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles S.E. from Helmsley, containing 112 inhabitants."


"FRYTON, a township in that part of the parish of HOVINGHAM, which is in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles W.N.W. from New Malton, containing 62 inhabitants."


"SCACKLETON, a township in that part of the parish of HOVINGHAM, which is in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, 10 miles N.W. from New Malton, containing 171 inhabitants."


"SOUTH HOLME, a township in that part of the parish of HOVINGHAM, which is in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles W.N.W. from New Malton, containing 66 inhabitants."


"WATH, a township in that part of the parish of HOVINGHAM, which is in the wapentake of RYEDALE North riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles N.W. from New Malton, containing 22 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]