GENUKI Home page    Hovingham Parish<br>main page Hovingham
Parish
main page

HOVINGHAM:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"HOVINGHAM, a parish comprising the township of Scackleton, in the wapentake of BULMER, and the townships of Aryholme with Hawthorpe, Cotton, Fryton, Hovingham, South Holme, and Wath, in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, and containing 1115 inhabitants, of which number, 649 are in the township of Hovingham, 8 miles W.N.W. from NewMalton. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with 200 private benefaction, 400 royal bounty, and 1500 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Earl of Carlisle. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A small sum was bequeathed, in 1716, by Mrs. Frances Arthington, for the instruction of six poor children: the income is 2. 8. per annum, and-four children are educated. A school was endowed in 1804, by a bequest of 200 from the Rev. James Graves, by means of the dividends upon which twelve children are educated. In a field about one mile from the village are three springs of sulphureous, chalybeate:, and clear water: the medicinal properties of the first have attracted many visitors. Hovingham-hall, anciently the seat of Roger de Mowbray, is now the property of the Worsley family: -in 1745, a Roman hypocaust and-bath, with a piece of tesselated Roman pavement, were discovered in the garden, and near the bath some coins from Antoninus Pius to Constantino; on the side of an adjoining-hill is a breast-work, supposed to be of Roman origin. A vicinal way is believed to have passed through the village, from Malton to Aldborough."


"ARYHOLME, a township, joint with Hawthorpe, in that part of the parish of HOVINGHAM, which is in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 1 miles W. from New Malton, containing 33 inhabitants."


"COTTON, a township in that part of the parish of HOVINGHAM, which is in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles S.E. from Helmsley, containing 112 inhabitants."


"FRYTON, a township in that part of the parish of HOVINGHAM, which is in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles W.N.W. from New Malton, containing 62 inhabitants."


"SCACKLETON, a township in that part of the parish of HOVINGHAM, which is in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, 10 miles N.W. from New Malton, containing 171 inhabitants."


"SOUTH HOLME, a township in that part of the parish of HOVINGHAM, which is in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles W.N.W. from New Malton, containing 66 inhabitants."


"WATH, a township in that part of the parish of HOVINGHAM, which is in the wapentake of RYEDALE North riding of the county of YORK, 8 miles N.W. from New Malton, containing 22 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014