GENUKI Home page    Hovingham Parish<br>main page Hovingham
Parish
main page

HOVINGHAM:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"HOVINGHAM, a parish in the wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 7 miles W.N.W. of New Malton. It is a station on the Thirsk, Malton, and Driffield section of the North-Eastern railway. The parish is of large extent, containing Coulton, Scackleton, and six other townships. The village, formerly a market town, is situated in the vale of Ryedale. The surface is generally hilly and wooded. There are three mineral springs, yielding respectively sulphurous, chalybeate, and clear water, near which a Roman bath, tesselated pavement, hypocaust, and coins of Antonine, &c., were found in 1745. On the side of an adjoining hill is a breastwork supposed to be of Roman construction. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value 101. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a school with a small endowment. The charities produce 17 per annum. Hovingham Hall, formerly a seat of the Mowbrays, is the principal residence."


"ARYHOLME, a township joined with Howthorpe, in the parish of Hovingham, wapentake of Ryedale, in the North Riding of the county of York, 7 miles to the N.W. of New Malton."


"COLTON, (or Coulton), a township in the parish of Hovingham, in the wapentake of Ryedale, in the North Riding of the county of York, 2 miles S.E. of the Gilling railway station, and 6 S. of Helmsley. The Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists have places of worship. The lord of the manor is C. G. Fairfax Esq."


"EAST NESS, a township in the parish of Hovingham, wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 2 miles N.E. of Hovingham railway station, and 9 W. of Malton. It is situated on the river Rye, near the line of the Roman road from Cleveland to Malton. Roman remains and inscriptions were discovered here. Messrs. T. W. and J. Kendall are lords of the manor and sole landowners. The surface is undulating and the soil fertile. The substratum abounds with limestone, which is quarried for building and for burning into lime. About two-thirds of the land are in pasture, and the remainder arable. Near the site of the ancient Hall is the modern residence of John Kendall, Esq."


"FRYTON, a township in the parish of Hovingham, wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 1 mile E. of Hovingham, and 6 miles N.W. of New Malton. The Earl of Carlisle is lord of the manor and sole proprietor."


"HOWTHORPE, a hamlet in the parish of Hovingham, wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 6 miles W. of Malton. It forms in conjunction with Airyholme and Baxtonhowe a township."


"SCACKLETON, a township in the parish of Hovingham, wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 4 miles S. of Hovingham, its post town, and 9 N.W. of New Malton. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. The soil is of various quality upon a subsoil of limestone, which is worked. W. Garforth, Esq., of Wiganthorpe Hall, is lord of the manor and sole landowner."


"SOUTH HOLME, a township in the parish of Hovingham, wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of Helmsley, and 7 N.W. of New Malton."


"WATH, a township in the parish of Hovingham, wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 1 mile S. of Hovingham railway station, and 7 miles N.W. of New Malton, on a branch of the river Rye. The subsoil consists of redstone and limestone. There are traces of the Mowbrays' old seat. The Earl of Carlisle is lord of the manor and owner of the soil."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014