Parish main page
Wapentake of Bulmer - Petty Sessional Division of East Bulmer - Electoral Division of Clifton - Poor Law Union and County Court District of York - Rural Deanery of Easingwold - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
This parish includes, in addition to that of its own name, also that of Towthorpe, and part of Earswick, and is situated partly within the Liberty of St. Peter. The extent of land is 4,281 acres, and the population 789. The parish is intersected by the River Foss, and has the York and Scarborough railway on the west side, and the York and Market Weighton line on the east side. The township of Huntington comprises 2,906 acres of land, chiefly the property of William Driffield, Esq., J.P., Huntington; Lady Mary Wyner (lady of the manor), Newby Hall, Ripon; Major Buckle, York; Thomas Charles Thompson, Esq., Ashdown Park, East Grimstead; the trustees of the late Rev. Dr. Hornby; Dr. William Bawdon, York; The York Freemen; Joseph Hillyard, Esq., Beechwood, Malton Road, York, and a number of small freeholders. The soil is clayey and chiefly under the plough.
The village of Huntington is situated on both banks of the Foss, the two parts being distinguished as East and West Huntington, and is distant about three miles N.E. of York. It is within the limits of the once famous Forest of Galtres, and is said to have received its name from being the rendezvous of the hunters. The railway station, now changed to Earswick to avoid confusion with Huntington, is about half-a-mile from the village. There are some good residences here bearing distinctive names which will be found in the directory. The Church dedicated to All Saints is an ancient stone structure on the west side of the Foss. The oldest part of the present building is the arch within the porch which belongs to the Transition Norman period. Domesday Book informs us that there was a church here before the Conquest, but of that Saxon edifice no traces now remain. The fabric underwent a thorough restoration in 1874, at a cost of about £3,000, when the nave was rebuilt, a north aisle of three bays, resting on two polished granite pillars, and a south-west tower with spire added, and the chancel extended. The triple sedilia and the mutilated piscina in the south wall of the chancel are still retained. The pulpit is a very fine piece of carving executed in 1677. The east window of three lights is filled with stained glass representing the Nativity, the Crucifixion, and the Resurrection. On the south side of the chancel are two double-light stained windows, one to the memory of James Bennett, Mille Crux, and the other of Hugh Morton, M.D., Newark, and on the north side two single lights in memory of Thomas Marshall Bennett, M.D., and Mrs. Bennett. The massive font is supported on a thick central shaft and four small pillars, with Cornish serpentine shafts. In the pavement of the porch are two 13th century sepulchral slabs, with incised floriated designs. During the restoration the high altar stone was found beneath the floor of the nave and is now under the communion table, and the slab of the Lady Altar is in the vestry floor.
The church has been warmed and lighted with gas at a cost of £100, and in 1888 a lych gate of oak with red tiled roof was erected, the boundary wall repaired, and the walks cemented at a further outlay of another £100.
The church at an early period was given to the Abbey of Evesham, in Worcestershire; it afterwards came into the possession of the Abbot and Convent of St. Hilda, Whitby; and finally, in 1353, to the Sub-Chanter and Vicars Choral of York Cathedral who are still the patrons and impropriators. The living is a vicarage, gross value £198, including 59 acres of glebe, and held by the Rev. J. R. Morton, M.A.
The Wesleyans have a chapel in the village which was enlarged and a Sunday School added in 1867.
The educational affairs of the parish are managed by a School Board formed in 1876, and a new school with teacher's residence was erected the following year. It is a good brick building attended by about 100 children.
The York Fever Hospital near Yearsley Bridge is in this township. It was built about eight years ago and will acccommodate 32 patients.
EARSWICK. - This township contains 1,160 acres, including woodlands, chiefly the property of William Gothorpe, Esq., 19, Monkgate, York; William John Rawdon, Esq., Bootham, York; William Hodgson, Haxby; James Mould, Leeds; and Mrs. Green, Earswick House. At the enclosure of the common in 1770, 45 acres were allotted to the vicar of Strensall, 35 acres to the vicar of Huntington, and 180 acres in lieu of the great tithes. A portion of the township is within the parish of Huntington, and the remainder within that of Strensall. There are 744 acres of land under assessment, of which the rateable value is £888, and the gross rental £1,019; population 148. The village, which is small, is situated on the east bank of the river Foss, 3½ miles N.N.E. of York.
TOWTHORPE TOWNSHIP containing 1,074 acres extends into the parish and manor of Strensall. Its rateable value is £1,002, and the number of inhabitants 49. Riley Briggs, Esq., of Osgodby Hall, near Selby, is lord of the manor, and owner of the whole township, except 350 acres of common, which was purchased eleven years ago by the Crown for the use of Strensall Camp. The soil is light sand with a little clay. The village stands on the east bank of the river Foss 4½ miles N.N.E. of York, and about one mile from Strensall Station.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.