"HUSTHWAITE, a parish within the liberty of ST-PETER-OF-YORK, East riding, though locally in the wapentake of Birdforth, North riding, of the county of YORK; comprising the chapelry of Carlton, and the township of Husthwaite, and containing 493 inhabitants, of which number, 324 are in the township of Husthwaite, 4 miles N.W. from Easingwold. The living is a perpetual curacy with Carlton, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of York, endowed With £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage; of the Prebendary of Husthwaite in the Cathedral Church, of York."
"CARLTON, a chapelry in the parish of HUSTHWAITE, within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, locally in the wapentake of Birdforth, North riding, of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.N.W. from Easingwold, containing 169 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]