"HUTTON BUSCEL, a parish in the wapentake of PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of West Ayton and Hutton Bushell, and containing 648 inhabitants, of which number, 419 are in the township of Hutton-Bushell, 6 miles W.S.W. from Scarborough. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £14. 17. 6., and in the patronage of Earl Fitzwilliam. The church is dedicated to-St. Matthew. Here is a free school, endowed with £14 per annum arising from various bequests, for which fourteen children are instructed."
"WEST AYTON, a township in the parish of HUTTON- BUSCEL, PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S.S.W. from Scarborough, containing 229 inhabitants. Here are remains of an ancient castle, formerly belonging to the family of Eure, and afterwards to that of Clifford. Agreeably to the will of Lady Hewley, two-thirds of the manor are vested in seven trustees, for the support of dissenting ministers. The river Derwent separates the townships of East and West Ayton, and is here crossed by a bridge of four arches."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]