"HUTTON BUSCEL, (or Hutton Bushell), a parish in the wapentake of Pickering Lythe, North Riding county York, 6 miles S.W. of Scarborough, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated on a hill. Nearly a third of the parish is moor and woodland. An Enclosure Act was obtained in 1790, when the tithes were commuted for land and an annual money payment. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £320. The church, dedicated to St. Matthew, is an ancient structure, with square embattled tower containing three bells. The altar has a stained-glass window. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is an endowed school for both sexes. Lord Downe is lord of the manor."
"WEST AYTON, a township in the parish of Hutton Buscel, lythe of Pickering, in the North Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the S.W. of Scarborough. It is situated on the river Derwent, opposite to East Ayton. The river, which, after leaving a narrow valley, becomes broader here, is crossed by a bridge of four arches. There are some remains of the old seat of the Evers, to whom this place belonged. Ayton Castle, the seat of the Aytons at an early period, subsequently came to the Cliffords."