"HUTTON MAGNA, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Hutton- Magnum with Lane-Head, and West Layton, and containing 317 inhabitants, of which number, 248 are in the township of Hutton-Magnum with Lane-Head, 3 miles S.E. from Greta-Bridge. The living is a -perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Gilling. The church is supposed to have been built before the reign of Edward III."
"WEST LAYTON, a township in the parish of HUTTON-MAGNA, western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles E.S.E. from Greta Bridge, containing 69 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]