"HUTTON MAGNA, (or Hutton Long Villiers), a parish in the wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 6 miles S.E. of Barnard Castle, and 9 from Richmond. Darlington is its post town. The village is very small. The inhabitants are engaged in lime burning. The soil is loamy, upon limestone and gravel. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value £52, in the patronage of the Vicar of Gilling. The church is an ancient structure, with a belfry containing two bells. Sir T. A. Clifford Constable, Bart., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
"LANE HEAD, a hamlet in the parish of Hutton-Magna, wapentake of Gilling-West, North Riding county York, 7 miles N. of Richmond."
"WEST LAYTON, a township in the parish of Hutton-Magna, wapentake of Gilling West, North Riding county York, 1 mile W. of Richmond, and 5 miles S.E. of Greta-Bridge. The village consists of a few scattered houses."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013