Wapentake of Bulmer - Electoral Division of Sheriff Hutton - Petty Sessional Division, Poor Law Union and County Court District of Malton - Rural Deanery of Bulmer - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
This parish lies on the north-west bank of the river Derwent, and comprises the two villages of High and Low Hutton, hence the addition of Ambo (Latin) both, to its name. The extent of land included within its limits is 2,819 acres, and the population 415. The principal proprietors are Captain T. S. Starkey (lord of the manor), Huttons Ambo Hall; Sir Charles William Strickland, Bart., Hildenley, near Malton; James Snarry, Esq., Musley Bank; A. W. M. Bosville, Esq., J.P., Thorpe Hall, Rudston; and Earl Fitzwilliam. The soil is various, and the scenery diversified and pretty. The principal crops are wheat, oats, and barley. Rateable value, £4,720. The York, Scarborough, and Whitby railway passes through the parish along the banks of the river, which are here thickly wooded.
The village of High Hutton stands on the higher ground, about a mile from the river and three miles S.W. of Malton. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is a modern Gothic structure, built in 1856, near the site of an old dilapidated edifice. It consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch, and a gable belfrey with two bells, and cost £1,500, raised chiefly by subscriptions. The interior was very neatly decorated in 1871, and an organ and organ chamber erected, at the expense of the late Miss Starkey. The east window, of three tall lancet lights, on which are depicted Christ carrying His Cross, with St. Peter on the right and St. Paul on the left, was erected by the Misses Starkey in memory of their brother, Joseph Starkey, Esq., who died in 1857, to whom there is also a neat white marble tablet on the south wall. The north and south windows of the chancel are likewise stained glass memorials. The north aisle is lighted by two double and two single lights. One of the latter is a memorial of Joseph Edmund Kinloch Barber-Starkey, who died at the age of one year and six months, and bears a very touching illustration of an angel ascending to heaven with a child in his arms, with the words "And the reapers are the angels." In the south wall of the nave are two double-light windows; on one, Christ is represented blessing the little children, and on the other, turning the money changers out of the temple, in one light; and in the other light, the centurion asking Him to heal his servant. The west end is pierced with a tall double-light lancet window, filled with stained glass, representing the presentation in the temple and the baptism of Christ, in memory of Miss Hannah Starkey, who died in 1865. Above this is a small circular or rose window. The pulpit is of Caen stone, neatly carved and ornamented with marble; the font is circular, supported on nine pillars resting on a circular base. Of ancient memorials, there are two from the old church, built into the wall of the north aisle. On one is the inscription "Here lyeth interred the body of Major Edward Gower, the 5th son of Sir Thomas Gower, Elder, Knight, and Barronnet, who deceased August 13th, 1672;" the other is to a sister of the above, but the date is illegible. The living, formerly a perpetual curacy, is now a vicarage, in the gift of the Archbishop of York; gross value, £229, derived from Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who are the impropriators of the great tithes, Queen Anne's Bounty, and 126 acres of glebe land. The present vicar is the Rev. George Dawes, B.A., T.C.D. The vicarage house is a commodious residence, built by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1868, at a cost of £1,600.
There are chapels in the parish belonging to the Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.
Low Hutton village is situated on the west bank of the Derwent, near Huttons Ambo station, and about half-a-mile from High Hutton. The school, which stands between the two villages, was built in 1856, chiefly through the liberality of the late Joseph Starkey, Esq., and is now under the management of the School Board, formed in 1876. There are 70 children on the books.
Huttons Ambo Hall is a neat mansion of white stone, the residence of Captain T. S. Starkey, who succceded to the property on the death of Miss Starkey, in 1884.
Musley Bank, the property and residence of James Snarry, Esq., is pleasantly situated on the slope of a hill two miles S. of Malton. It was purchased from the exors. of the late Mrs. Key, in the beginning of the present year (1889), by Mr. Snarry, who has since spent £1,200 in draining, building stables, and fitting up the place for the accommodation of his racing stock. On his stud farm at Norton are some valuable brood mares of the Agnes family, and from his stables was sold the mother of Ormonde, the most celebrated of modern racehorses.
Roughborough, an adjoining farm, in the occupation of Mr. Fred. Harrison, bears evidence of antiquity in the latter part of its name, and, from the discovery of a tesselated pavement, about 30 years ago, it is conjectured that there was a Roman villa here.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.