|Yorkshire||North Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"INGLEBY ARNCLIFFE, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 8 miles NE. of Northallerton. The church, which is dedicated to St. Andrew, is a small plain ancient structure; the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Brian Abbes, Esq. and the Rev. J. W. Steele is the incumbent. The village of Ingleby, which is the only one in the parish, is small and consists chiefly of farm houses, neatly built. It stands in a retired situation, on the summit of a gentle ridge, at a little distance from the road leading from Stokesley to Thirsk. A little south of the village is situated the Cleveland Tontine Inn. Pop. 331."
"CLEVELAND TONTINE INN, in the township and parish of Ingleby Arncliffe, west-division of Langbarugh; 1¼ miles SW of Ingleby Arncliffe, 7 miles from Northallerton, 8 from Yarm, 9 from Stokesley, 12 from Thirsk.
The foundation of this Inn, which was designed on an extensive and elegant plan, was laid on the 13th day of July, 1804, for the purpose of establishing a daily post between Thirsk, Guisborough, Yarm, &c. for the accommodation of the inhabitants of Cleveland, and which commenced on the 5th of September following, was raised by subscription in the nature of a Tontine, called the Cleveland Tontine-Inn. --Graves' Cleveland."
"COCK BUSH, a farm house in the township and parish of Ingleby Arncliffe; 1 mile WSW. of Ingleby Arncliffe, 8 miles from Northallerton and Stokesley."
"FOWGILL, in the parish of Ingleby Arncliffe, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 1 mile NW. of Ingleby Arncliffe, 8 miles from Stokesley."
"INGLEBY CROSS, a hamlet in the township and parish of Ingleby Arncliffe; ½ mile W. of Ingleby Arncliffe."