"INGLEBY GREENHOW, a parish in the W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Stokesley. It contains Battersby and Greenhow, and is a station on the North Yorkshire and Cleveland section of the North-Eastern railway. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in husbandry. The village, which is small, is situated on a gentle acclivity. Near a third of the parish is moorland, the remainder chiefly meadow and pasture, with some arable, and about 500 acres of woodland. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value £67. The church was rebuilt in 1741. The charities produce about £13, of which £4 goes to the support of a school. Ingleby Manor is the principal residence."
"BATTERSBY, a township in the parish of Ingleby Greenhow, in the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the E. of Stokesley. It lies in a moorland district."
"GREENHOW, a township in the parish of Ingleby Greenhow, W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Stokesley. Lord de L'Isle and Dudley has a seat here called Ingleby Manor."