Parish main page
Wapentake of Langbaurgh (West Division) - Petty Sessional Division of Langbaurgh West - Electoral Division of Great Ayton - Poor Law Union, County Court District, and Rural Deanery of Stokesley - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
This parish lies at the foot of the Cleveland Hills, which bound it on the south and east; on the north it is margined by the parishes of Ayton and Kildale, and on the west by that of Kirby-in-Cleveland. Its total area, according to Ordnance measurement, is 7,002 acres, of which about 2,000 are moorland and fell. It includes the townships of Greenhow and Battersby; but for rating purposes these are now united with Ingleby Greenhow. The rateable value is £4,301, and the number of inhabitants 391. The soil is a mixture of loam resting on strong clay. Wheat, beans, and oats are chiefly grown. Ironstone occurs here among the Oolitic rocks, but the seam being thin and expensive to work, the mines have been abandoned. Lord De L'Isle and Dudley is lord of the manor and owner of the whole parish, with the exception of 120 acres which belong to James Emerson, Esq.
Ingleby (the by or town of the Angles) has been variously written. In the History of the Parish, by the present Vicar, seventeen different spellings are enumerated, but in all the origin of the name is apparent. In Domesday Book it occurs as Englebi, and was then included within the soke of Stokesley. It was granted with that barony to Guy de Baliol, by William II. It remained in the possession of this family until the 13th century, when it was conveyed by marriage to the Eures, and in 1609 was sold by Ralph, Lord Eure, to David Foulis, a Scothman, who accompanied James I. to England, and was created a baronet in 1619. Sir William Foulis, 8th baronet, who died in 1845, left an only child, Mary, who conveyed the estate in marriage to the present owner, Philip Sidney, second Lord De L'Isle and Dudley.* Philip Charles, the first baron, was the son of Sir John Shelley-Sidney, Bart. (created 1818), whose mother, Elizabeth Jane Sidney, second wife of Sir Bysshe Shelley, Bart., was the granddaughter of Robert Sidney, fourth Earl of Leicester. Sir John was born in 1771. and, in 1793, assumed by sign-manual the additional surname and arms of Sidney. His son, Philip Charles, Lord De L'Isle and Dudley (created 1835), married Lady Sophia Fitz-Clarence, natural daughter of William IV., by Mrs. Jordan, and, at his death in 1851, was succeeded by the present baron, whose seats are Penshurst Castle, Kent, and Ingleby Manor.
* The Foulis baronetcy devolved upon Sir William's brother, the Rev. Henry Foulis, who became ninth baronet, but at his death in 1876 the title became extinct.
Some of his lordship's ancestors have won for themselves imperishable fame by their conspicuous abilities in the battle-field and in the cabinet. Sir William Sidney, to whom Penshurst was granted by Edward VI., was chamberlain and steward of the household to Henry VIII., and his son Sir Henry Sidney, was lord-president of the Marches of Wales, and lord-deputy of Ireland in the reign of Elizabeth. Sir Philip Sidney, son of Sir Henry, is described by Camden as "the great glory of his family, the great hope of mankind, the most lively pattern of virtue, and the glory of the world." He was a polished writer, an elegant poet, and a brave, daring, and intrepid soldier. At the battle of Zutphen he had two horses killed under him, and was mortally wounded whilst mounting his third horse. Thirsty with the loss of blood he called for a drink, which was brought to him; but whilst raising the bottle to his mouth he beheld a poor wounded soldier, carried past by his comrades, and casting a ghastly beseeching look on the bottle. Without drinking he handed the bottle to the poor man, saying, "Thy necessity is yet greater than mine." Sir Philip died of his wounds twenty-five days afterwards, and his body was brought to England and buried in St. Paul's Cathedral.
Scarcely less distinguished as a statesman was Algernon Sidney, son of Robert, the second Earl of Leicester. Under the arbitrary government of Charles I., he became imbued with republican sentiments, and in the war between Charles and the parliament he joined the king's enemies. After the Restoration he continued his hostility to the Stuarts, and repairing to the continent, employed himself in secret intrigues against the government, and even offered his services to the enemies of his country. He afterwards returned to England, and received pardon, on condition of conducting himself as a peaceable subject. Subsequently he was implicated in the Rye-house Plot, tried, and beheaded on Tower-hill, 1683.
Ingleby Manor, the seat of Lord De L'Isle and Dudley, is a massive Elizabethan mansion, romantically situated in the midst of hills and fells. Henry Foulis, B.D., the divine and historian, was born here in 1635.
The village of. Ingleby Greenhow is seated at the foot of a lofty range of moorlands, 5 miles E.S.E. of Stokesley. The Cleveland railway passes through the township and has a station near the village. The Church (St. Andrew), is an ancient edifice, restored in a debased style in 1741, but still retaining some of its fine old Norman arches and pillars. All the windows were renewed by the parishioners in 1887, as a memento of Her Majesty's Jubilee. In the chancel are two stone effigies, which have been removed from the churchyard. One is supposed to represent Sir William Eure, who was buried here in 1593; the other is that of an ecclesiastic, and bears the following inscription :- VILKS (?) DE WRELTON CAPELLAN. The living, formerly a perpetual curacy, held in conjunction with Kildale, is now a vicarage, worth £130 a year, including 34 acres of glebe, with residence. It is in the gift of Lord De L'Isle and Dudley, and held by the Rev. John Hawell, M.A. The impropriate tithes amount to £565.
The school is endowed with a yearly rent-charge of £3 10s., left by John Rowland, and with the interest of £10 left by the Rev. Samuel Hassell.
CHARITIES. - In 1642 (?) William Askew left the interest of £60 for the benefit of the poor; in 1733 Gregory Rowland left a yearly rent-charge of £2 for the same purpose. They also receive the dividends of £90 stock, purchased with the bequests of John Carter, Robert Snowden, and the Rev. Samuel Hassell; likewise the interest of £100, bequeathed by Robert Watson in 1888. In 1879 Mrs. Frances Fletcher left the sum of £100, the interest thereof to be expended in buying coals for the poor at Christmas.
BATTERSBY is a township and hamlet comprising 1,230 acres. Lord De L'Isle and Dudley is sole proprietor. The village is small, but pleasantly situated on the western declivity of a range of lofty moorlands. There is a station on the Cleveland railway near the village.
GREENHOW. - This township and hamlet covers 3,484 acres, of which 700 acres are open moorland. It was anciently the property of the Meinells, from whom it passed to the D'Arcys. In the reign of James I., it was granted with Ingleby to Sir David Foulis, and now belongs to Lord De L'Isle and Dudley. There is no village and the farm-houses are very much scattered.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.