Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for KILBURN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

KILBURN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"KILBURN, a parish and township in the wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 2 miles N. of Coxwold, and 6 S.E. of Thirsk. Easingwold is its post town. The parish, which is extensive, comprises the townships of Kilburn, Oldstead, Thorpe-le-Willows, and Wass, with the hamlet of Hood-Grange. The soil is clayey, with gravel in parts. The village is situated on the slope of an acclivity, at the foot of which runs a rivulet. The impropriate tithes, belonging to the Archbishop of York, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £405. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £99, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a plain ancient structure, with a tower. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. There is a school for children of both sexes, built and endowed by the archbishop of York, a Sunday-school is also held. At Hood-Grange was formerly a Cistercian priory, founded as a cell to the abbey of Newburgh by Robert de Mowbray in 1138. The walls of the church have been converted into a barn. An ancient stone font was dug up here, having a square base, and four grotesque figures supporting the angles. The Archbishop of York is lord of the manor."


"HOOD GRANGE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Kilburn, North Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Thirsk."


"OLDSTEAD, a township in the parish of Kilburn, wapentake of Birdford, North Riding county York, 6 miles N. of Easingwold, and 5 S.E. of Thirsk. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The soil consists of gravel and clay, on a subsoil of limestone."


"THORPE LE WILLOWS, a township in the parish of Kilburn, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Easingwold."


"WASS, a township in the parish of Kilburn, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 5 miles S.W. of Helmsley. The village is situated near the ruins of Byland Abbey, and sheltered by wooded hills. The soil consists of clay, and there is a quarry of oolite stone, of which Byland Abbey was built. There is an endowed parochial school for both sexes, and at which a Sunday-school is held. S. Stapylton, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013