"KILBURN, a parish and township in the wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 2 miles N. of Coxwold, and 6 S.E. of Thirsk. Easingwold is its post town. The parish, which is extensive, comprises the townships of Kilburn, Oldstead, Thorpe-le-Willows, and Wass, with the hamlet of Hood-Grange. The soil is clayey, with gravel in parts. The village is situated on the slope of an acclivity, at the foot of which runs a rivulet. The impropriate tithes, belonging to the Archbishop of York, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £405. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £99, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a plain ancient structure, with a tower. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. There is a school for children of both sexes, built and endowed by the archbishop of York, a Sunday-school is also held. At Hood-Grange was formerly a Cistercian priory, founded as a cell to the abbey of Newburgh by Robert de Mowbray in 1138. The walls of the church have been converted into a barn. An ancient stone font was dug up here, having a square base, and four grotesque figures supporting the angles. The Archbishop of York is lord of the manor."
"HOOD GRANGE, a hamlet in the township and parish of Kilburn, North Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Thirsk."
"OLDSTEAD, a township in the parish of Kilburn, wapentake of Birdford, North Riding county York, 6 miles N. of Easingwold, and 5 S.E. of Thirsk. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The soil consists of gravel and clay, on a subsoil of limestone."
"THORPE LE WILLOWS, a township in the parish of Kilburn, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Easingwold."
"WASS, a township in the parish of Kilburn, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 5 miles S.W. of Helmsley. The village is situated near the ruins of Byland Abbey, and sheltered by wooded hills. The soil consists of clay, and there is a quarry of oolite stone, of which Byland Abbey was built. There is an endowed parochial school for both sexes, and at which a Sunday-school is held. S. Stapylton, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013