|Yorkshire||North Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"KILBURN, (or High and Low Kilburn) a parish in the wapentake of Birdforth, & liberties of Ripon & Pickering Lythe; 7 miles ESE. of Thirsk. The village is divided into High Kilburn and Low Kilburn. Pop. 500."
"HOOD GRANGE, a farm house in the parish of Kilburn, wapentake of Birdforth and liberty of Ripon; 1¾ miles NNW. of Kilburn, 6 miles ESE. of Thirsk. Pop. 30.
Here was an Hermitage to Whitby, where Robert de Alnetto, a Monk of Whitby lived; but in 1138, through the influence of Roger de Mowbrey and Gundred his mother, was converted into an Abbey for Monks of the Cistercian order, which was removed to old Byland in 1143, and finally to Byland near Coxwold in 1147. -Burton, -Speed, -Dugdale. It is now merely a farm-house, the thick walls of which, with its antique windows, and a stone coffin placed in the wall of the west buildings, prove its antiquity."
"OLDSTEAD, in the parish of Kilburn, and wapentake of Birdforth (Oldstead Grange, the seat of Thomas Paul, Esq.) ; 7 miles N. of Easingwold. Population included in Byland."
"OSGOODBY, in the parish of Kilburn, wapentake of Birdforth, and liberty of Ripon; 1½ miles WNW. of Kilburn, 5 miles ESE. of Thirsk. Population included in Kilburn."
"WASS, in the parish of Kilburn, and wapentake of Birdforth; 2½ miles E. of Kilburn, 6 miles SW. of Helmsley. The principal inhabitant of this place is Mr. John Bree. Pop. included with Byland."