"KILDALE, a parish in the W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 6 miles E. of Stokesley, its post town, and 6 from Guisborough. It is a station on the North Yorkshire and Cleveland railway. An oratory was commenced here in 1312 for the brotherhood, of Crutched Friars, but was abandoned by order of Archbishop Grenfield. Here was also a castle of the Percys. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The tithes were commuted for a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1775. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York, value £120. The church, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, is an ancient Saxon building, with a tower containing one bell. The charities produce £1 per annum. There is a parochial school for children of both sexes, also a Sunday-school."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013