|Yorkshire||North Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"KILDALE, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 6 miles S. of Guisborough. The church, which is a very ancient structure, is dedicated to St. Cuthbert (see Churches for photograph), and stands in a low retired situation, at a little distance fro them village, towards the south.
There is nothing in the style of architecture of the present edifice that points out the era of its foundation; but, upon the authority of Domesday book, where the church is mentioned, we may conclude it to be of great antiquity, and it was probably founded at an early period of the Saxon Heptarchy. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of Robert Bell Livesey, Esq.; incumbent, the Rev. J. Holmes. Pop. 209.
Here, was formerly a Castle, which belonged to the Earls of Northumberland. -Camden. In the Park of Sir Arnold de Percy, within this parish, about the year 1312, the Friars of the Holy Cross began to build an oratory and other offices for their settlement here; but the place was interdicted by Archbishop Grenfield, till it should be made appear that this sort of mendicants was allowed by the Pope. -Tanner. No traces of the foundations appear at present."
"KEMPSWITHEN, in the parish of Kildale, wapentake & liberty of Langbargh; 2¾ miles ESE. of Kildale."
"THUNDERBUSH, a single house in the parish of Kildale, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 4 miles S. of Guisborough."
"WAYWORTH, a farm house in the township of Commondale, and parish of Kildale; 2¼ miles E. of Kildale, 5 miles from Guisborough, 8 from Stokesley."
"WEST HOUSE, a farm house in the township and parish of Kildale; 1½ miles E. of Kildale, 2 miles E. of Kildale, 7½ from Stokesley."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]