Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for KIRBY HILL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

KIRBY HILL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"KIRBY HILL, (or Kirby-on-the-moor), a parish in the wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 1 mile N. of Boroughbridge, its post town, and 5 miles S. of Ripon. The parish, which is small, is situated on the river Ure, and on the road from Ripon to Boroughbridge, and contains the hamlets of Humberton, Milby, and Langthorpe. The surface is elevated and the lands are in good cultivation. The village, situated on an eminence commanding a view of sixteen churches, and of the cathedrals of York and Ripon, is neatly built, and from its commanding site has received the name of Kirby Hill. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value £300, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a stone building with a square embattled tower."


"HUMBERTON WITH MILBY, a township in the parish of Kirby Hill, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 2 miles N.E. of Boroughbridge. It is situated on the rivers Ouse and Swale. There are several farmhouses and cottages. The soil is loamy."


"LANGTHORPE, a township in the parish of Kirby Hill, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 1 mile N.W. of Boroughbridge. It is situated on the river Ouse, which separates it from Boroughbridge. There are extensive flour mills, also mills for crushing bones, and oil mills. There is a nail manufactory."


"MARTON LE MOOR, a township and chapelry in the parishes of Topcliffe and Kirby Hill, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 3½ miles N. of Ripon, its post town, and 3 N.W. of Boroughbridge. The soil is a rich loam. The*village is small and wholly agricultural. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £72. The church is a neat stone edifice. Earl de Grey is lord of the manor and sole landowner. There is a National school"


"MILBY, a township in the parish of Kirby Hill, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, half-a-mile N. of Boroughbridge. It is situated near the river Ure, which separates it from Aldborough, and which was crossed by a wooden bridge before the Conquest. It is joined to Humberton."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013