GENUKI Home page    Kirby Hill Parish<br>main page Kirby Hill
Parish
main page

KIRBY HILL:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"KIRBY HILL, (or Kirby-on-the-moor), a parish in the wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 1 mile N. of Boroughbridge, its post town, and 5 miles S. of Ripon. The parish, which is small, is situated on the river Ure, and on the road from Ripon to Boroughbridge, and contains the hamlets of Humberton, Milby, and Langthorpe. The surface is elevated and the lands are in good cultivation. The village, situated on an eminence commanding a view of sixteen churches, and of the cathedrals of York and Ripon, is neatly built, and from its commanding site has received the name of Kirby Hill. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value 300, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a stone building with a square embattled tower."


"HUMBERTON WITH MILBY, a township in the parish of Kirby Hill, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 2 miles N.E. of Boroughbridge. It is situated on the rivers Ouse and Swale. There are several farmhouses and cottages. The soil is loamy."


"LANGTHORPE, a township in the parish of Kirby Hill, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 1 mile N.W. of Boroughbridge. It is situated on the river Ouse, which separates it from Boroughbridge. There are extensive flour mills, also mills for crushing bones, and oil mills. There is a nail manufactory."


"MARTON LE MOOR, a township and chapelry in the parishes of Topcliffe and Kirby Hill, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 3 miles N. of Ripon, its post town, and 3 N.W. of Boroughbridge. The soil is a rich loam. The*village is small and wholly agricultural. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value 72. The church is a neat stone edifice. Earl de Grey is lord of the manor and sole landowner. There is a National school"


"MILBY, a township in the parish of Kirby Hill, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, half-a-mile N. of Boroughbridge. It is situated near the river Ure, which separates it from Aldborough, and which was crossed by a wooden bridge before the Conquest. It is joined to Humberton."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014