GENUKI Home page    Kirby Knowle Parish<br>main page Kirby Knowle
Parish
main page

KIRBY KNOWLE:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"KIRBY KNOWLE, a parish in the wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Bagby, and the townships of Balk and Kirby-Knowle, and containing 505 inhabitants, of which number, 138 are in the township of Kirby-Knowle, 4 miles N.N.E. from Thirsk. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at 8.2.1. Sir T. Frankland, Bart, was patron in 1797."


"BAGBY, a chapelry in the parish of KIRBY-KNOWLE, wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, 2$% miles E.S.E. from Thirsk, containing 242 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"BALK, a township in the parish of KIRBY-KNOWLE, wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles E.S.E. from Thirsk, containing 125 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014