"KIRBY MISPERTON, a parish in the lythe of Pickering, North Riding county York, 4 miles S. of Pickering, and 8 N.W. of Malton. It contains townships of Great and Little Barrow. The soil is loamy and the land chiefly arable. The village, which is considerable, is neatly built. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £960. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, is an ancient stone structure with a tower. In the interior is an octagonal font. The Wesleyans hold divine service in a private house. There are a few small charities. There is a National school for both sexes, also a Sunday-school. Captain Legard is lord of the manor."
"BARUGH AMBO, a township in the parish of Kirby-Misperton, Pickering lythe, in the North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the N. of New Malton. It comprises Great and Little Barugh. There is a chapel belonging to the Wesleyans."
"GREAT HABTON, (and Little Habton) townships in the parish of Kirby-Misperton, North Riding county York, 2 miles N.W. of New Malton. They are situated on the banks of the river Rye."
"RYTON, a township in the parish of Kirby-Misperton, Pickering Lythe, North Riding county York, 7 miles from Pickering, and 3 N.E. of New Malton. The township, which is wholly agricultural, is situated on the river Rye. The soil is a mixture of loam, clay, and sand, with a subsoil of loam and clay. T. Barstow, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013