Parish main page
Wapentake of Pickering Lythe - Electoral Division of Thornton - Petty Sessional Division of Pickering Lythe West - Poor Law Union of Pickering - County Court District and Rural Deanery of Malton - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
This parish, called also Kirby-over-Carr, or the Church-town beyond the marsh, is situated in the vale of the Rye, which river forms its southern boundary.. It includes the townships of Kirby Misperton, Barughs Ambo, Great and Little: Habton, and Ryton, containing in all an area of about 7,000 acres, and 952 inhabitants, In the first-named township there are 1,717 acres of land under assessment, of which the rateable value is £2,186; the inhabitants number 270. John and Robert Tindall, Esquires, are sole owners and lords of the manor. The estate was formerly in the possession of the Crown, but when or how it passed into royal hands is not known. George IV., when regent, presented it to the Rev. F. W. Blomberg, one of his favourite chaplains. It was afterwards in the possession of Captain Legard, who sold it, in 1865, to the late Robert Tindall, Esq., father of the present owners.
The village of Kirby Misperton is seated on an eminence about four miles S. of Pickering. Mr. Frank, in his interesting work, "Ryedale and North Yorkshire Antiquities," supposes a monastery to have once stood here, and that the second part of the name is consequently a corruption of Minstertown; but a more probable supposition is that Misperton was the name of some early owner of the estate. The church (St. Lawrence) is an ancient edifice, apparently rebuilt during the Perpendicular period; but fragments of an older structure have been built into the walls. It was restored by subscription, and a sum of money borrowed from Queen Anne's Bounty, under the Gilbert Acts, during the incumbency of the late Canon Boddy, by whom also the chancel was rebuilt in 1875. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Books at £25 1s. 10½d., but now worth £907 gross, the amount of the tithe rent-charge. Its net value is £800, including 120 acres of glebe, with residence. It is in the gift of the Earl of Feversham, and held by the Rev. William Henry Hutchings, M.A., Oxon. By an order of the Queen, in Council, issued in 1885, it is ordained that the sum of £25 of the tithes shall be paid annually to the vicar of Farndale. The churchyard was conditionally closed by the Secretary of State on the 6th of July, 1858; and a new burial ground was consecrated on the 29th of July, 1861.
The School was rebuilt in 1855, and has been enlarged since. It is endowed with £10 per annum, left by William Smithson in 1673. He also left a sum of 10s. a year for a sermon on the anniversary of his death, and 10s. to be distributed in bread after the said sermon; but both of these sums are now given to the poor. They also receive £3 10s. a year, left by Elizabeth Stockton and John Percival.
The Wesleyans have a small chapel in the village.
BARUGHS AMBO. - This township comprises an area of 1,433 acres, and is valued for rateable purposes at £1,830; population, 261. It includes the two hamlets of Great and Little Barugh; the manorial privileges of the former belong to Robert Lesley, Esq., and of the latter to William Scoby. The principal landowners are the two gentlemen above mentioned, and Mr. Abraham Farrar.
A chapel-of-ease was erected at Great Barugh a few years ago. It is a handsome structure, consisting of nave, chancel, and aisle, and will seat 250 persons. The school is endowed with £16 a year, and is attended by about 20 children.
The Wesleyans have a chapel at Little Barugh, built in 1820, and subsequently enlarged. It is in the Malton circuit.
GREAT HABTON TOWNSHIP contains, according to the overseers returns, 918 acres of land, and is rated at £1,179; population, 165. Mr. William Johnson is lord of the manor and principal owner; and H. J. Lesley, Esq., has also some land here. The village is small, and lies about five miles N.W. of Malton. A chapel-of-ease, dedicated to St. Chad, was erected in 1883. The Wesleyans hold their services in the British school.
LITTLE HABTON is a small township of 436 acres, chiefly the property of Abraham Farrar, Esq., Lord Headley, and John Holt. Rateable value, £598; number of inhabitants, 52. The soil is a rich loam, mixed with sand and clay, and the chief crops are wheat and oats.
RYTON township covers an area of 2,208 acres; rateable value, £2,417; population, 204. The manorial rights belong to T. J. Barstow, Esq.; but the land is chiefly the property of Aconley Lawrence, Esq., Pickering; James Lund, Esq., Keighley; and Mrs. Sharp, Driffield.
The village is situated on the north bank of the river Rye, from which it receives its name. A chapel-of-ease was erected here in 1839. It is a plain brick building. The Wesleyan chapel, in Lund Forest, was built, in 1860, by William and James Lund, of whom it is held by a nominal rent.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.