|Yorkshire||North Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"KIRBY MISPERTON, (or Kirkby over Carr) a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe (the seat of the Rev. F.W. Blomberg); 4 miles SSW. of Pickering. The church is dedicated to St. Lawrence (see Churches for photograph), and the living is a rectory, in the patronage of Charles Duncombe, Esq. Here is also a Free School, salary £10. per annum. Pop. 170.
Here was born, in 1703, the Rev. John Clarke, M.A. whose life has been given to the public by the late Dr. Zouch, under the title of "the Good School-master exemplified, in the character of the Rev. John Clarke, M.A." He was the son of an honest and industrious mechanic, whose extreme anxiety to give him a liberal education deserves every encomium. The Rector of the parish, (Mr. Peter Dubordieu, M.A.) quick to discern and willing to encourage merit, placed him in the school at Thorton, a village in the neighbourhood, whence he subsequently obtained a small exhibition to assist him at the University. He died at Scarborough, in the house of his brother Mr. Francis Clarke. He was buried at the Church of Kirkby-Misperton, Feb. 11, 1761, where an elegant Monument has been erected to his memory, at the expense of not less than 148 of the sons of the principal gentry in the county of York, as well as those of other counties, all his pupils. A plain marble tablet is also placed in each of the schools over which he presided, with inscriptions by Dr Zouch,"
"GREAT BARUGH, (and Little Barugh), in the parish of Kirby-Misperton, and being united with Great-Barugh, form the township of Barughs-Ambo; 2 miles W. of Kirby Misperton, 5 miles SW. of Pickering. Population, 241."
"GREAT HABTON, (and Little Habton) in the parish of Kirby Misperton, wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; 2¼ miles SSW. of Kirby Misperton, 4 miles NW. of Malton. Pop. 186. (see also Churches)"
"LUND FOREST, or Low Moors, 4 farm houses in the township of Ryton, and parish of Kirby Misperton; 4 miles from Malton, 5 from Pickering, 12 from Kirbymoorside."
"RYTON, in the parish of Kirby Misperton, wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; 2½ miles SSE. of Kirby Misperton, 3 miles N. of Malton. Population, 212."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]