GENUKI Home page    Kirby Wiske Parish<br>main page Kirby Wiske
Parish
main page

KIRBY WISKE:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"KIRBY WISKE, a parish comprising the jointtownship of Newsham with Breckenbrough in the wapentake of BiRriFbRTH, and the townships of Kirby- Wisk,Maunby, and Newby-Wisk, in the eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK; and containing 841 inhabitants, of which number, 197 are in the township of Kirby-Wisk, 4 miles N.W. from Thirsk. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at 27. 16. 5. The Duke of Northumberland was patron in 1808. The church is dedicated to St, John the Baptist. In this parish were born Roger Ascham, the learned and accomplished tutor of Queen Elizabeth j Dr: George Hickes, author of the Thesaurus Linguarum Septemptrionalium; and Dr. John Palliser, Archbishop of Tuam."


"BRECKENBROUGH, a township, joint with Newsham, in that part of the parish of KIRBY-WISKE, which is in the wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles W. from Thirsk. The population is returned with Newsham."


"MAUNBY, a township in that part of the parish of KiRBY-WISKE, which is in the eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.W. from North-Allerton, containing 206 inhabitants."


"NEWBY WISKE, a township in that part of the parish of KIRBY-WISKE, which is in the[ eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S. from North Allerton, containing 265 inhabitants. There is a stone bridge of five arches over the river Wiske. The Wesleyan Methodists have a place of worship here. A Sunday school has been established, and is supported by the Rev. Christopher Bethel, DJD. There is a trifling bequest by William Crank, for teaching and apprenticing poor children."


"NEWSHAM, a township, joint with Breckenbrough, in that part of the parish of KIRBY-WISKE, which is in the wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles W.N.W. from Thirsk, containing, with Breckenbrough, 173 inhabitants. Dr. George Hicks, a learned divine, was born here in 1642; he died in 1715."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014