"KIRBY WISKE, a parish in the wapentake of East Gilling, North Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Thirsk, its post town, and 7 N.W. of Northallerton. It is situated on the banks of the river Wiske, and contains the townships of Maunby, Newby Wiske, and Newsham. The Great Northern railway passes through the parish. Near the village are some traces of a Roman encampment. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ripon, value £643. The church, dedicated to St. John, is an ancient stone structure with a tower containing three bells. It has a fine Norman doorway. The parochial charities produce £36 per annum. Roger Ascham, the tutor of Queen Elizabeth, Dr. George Hickes, and Archbishop Palliser, were natives of this place."
"BRECKENBOROUGH, a township in the parish of Kirby-Wiske, wapentake of Birdforth, in the North Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the N.W. of Thirsk. It is joined with the township of Newsham. The chief residence is Breckenborough House."
"MAUNBY, a township in the parish of Kirby-Wiske, wapentake of East Gilling, North Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Thirsk, and 6 S.W. of Northallerton. It is situated on the river Swale, and contains Maunby Hall."
"NEWBY WISKE, a township in the parish of Kirby-Wiske, wapentake of Gilling-East, North Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Thirsk, and 4 S. of Northallerton. The village, which is of small extent, is situated at the five-arched bridge on the river Wiske, and near the North-Eastern railway, on which it has a station. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans, also a National school. Newby Hall is the principal residence."
"NEWSHAM, a township in the parish of Kirby-Wiske, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 3½ miles N.W. of Thirsk. It is situated on the river Swale, near the North-Eastern railway. It is united with Breckenbrough to form a township The village is small and wholly agricultural. Dr. George Hicks, the antiquary and Saxon scholar, was born at a farm called Moorhouse in 1640."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013