"KIRKBY IN CLEVELAND, a parish in the western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Great and Little Broughton, and Kirkby in Cleveland, and containing 685 inhabitants, of which number, 168 are in the township of Kirkby in Cleveland, 2 miles S.S.E. from Stokesley. The living comprises a discharged vicarage and a sinecure rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, the former rated in the king's books at £5. 6. 3., and the latter at £21. 8. 6. The Archbishop of York appoints to the rectory, and the Rector to the vicarage. The. church, dedicated to St. Augustine, was erected, in 1815, upon the site of a smaller cruciform structure. A free grammar school was founded, in 1683, by Henry Edmunds, Esq., who endowed it with a school-house, garden, and an estate at Broughton, producing £50 per annum, for the benefit of all the poor children of the parish. A Sunday school, established and supported by subscription, is attended by about sixty of both sexes. There is also a library for the use of the parishioners, selected from books recommended by the Society for propagating Christian Knowledge."
"GREAT BROUGHTON, (and LITTLE BROUGHTON), a township in the parish of KIRKBY IN CLEVELAND, western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.E. from Stokesley, containing 517 inhabitants. On the top of a mountain near this place is a rude collection of large stones, one of them in an erect position, which some have conjectured to have been raised over the remains of a Danish warrior."