|Kirkby In Cleveland
"KIRKBY IN CLEVELAND, a parish in the W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 2 miles S.E. of Stokesley, its post town, and 10 from Guisborough. It contains the hamlets of Broughton and Great and Little Dromanby. The village, which is considerable, is situated under Wainstone Hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value with a sinecure rectory, £360, in the patronage of the archbishop. The parish church, dedicated to St. Augustine, is a commodious stone edifice with a tower containing two bells. It was rebuilt in 1815, upon the site of a small cruciform structure. In the church and churchyard are monuments to the Dobson and Grenside families. There is a free grammar school, founded in 1708 by Henry Edmunds, who endowed it with an estate now producing £60 per annum. James Emmerson, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"GREAT BROUGHTON, (and Little Broughton) townships in the parish of Kirkby-in-Cleveland, liberty of Langbaurgh, in the North Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the S.E. of Stokesley. It is in a hilly country. Broughton Hall is a modern mansion, situated in pleasant wooded grounds. On the top of a hill overlooking the village, are the Wain Stones, a collection of stones of large dimension, one only in an exact position, probably the remains of a cromlech."
"GREAT DROMANBY, (and Little), hamlets in the parish of Kirkby-in-Cleveland, W. division of the hundred of Langbaurgh, in the North Riding of the county of York, 2 miles S.W. of Stokesley."