|Yorkshire||North RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"KIRKBY IN CLEVELAND, (or Kirkby) a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 2 miles SSE. of Stokesley, is pleasantly situated at the foot of a continued ridge of mountains. The ancient Church, dedicated to St. Augustine, was built in the form of a cross, but it was taken down, and replaced in the year 1815, by an edifice larger, and more convenient, though in a more plain and homely style. The living is a (sinecure) rectory, in the gift of the Archbishop of York, with a vicarage in the patronage of the rector. The Rev. L. V. Vernon., A.M. is the rector, and the Rev. W. D. Willis, AM. the vicar. There is here a Grammar School, founded by Henry Edmunds, Esq. in the year 1683, who endowed it with a farm, at Broughton, value £50 a year, and upwards, with a school house and garden, for ever, for the benefit of all poor children in the townships of Kirkby and Broughton; also a Sunday School established by subscription, in which 60 children are instructed under the inspection of the vicar. Here is also a parochial library for the free use of the parish, consisting of books selected from the list of the Society for promoting Christian knowledge. Pop. 168."
"GREAT BROUGHTON, in the parish of Kirkby in Cleveland, wapentake & liberty of Langbargh; ½ mile ENE. of Kirkby in Cleveland, 2 miles SE. of Stokesley. On the summit of a mountain that overlooks this village and Kirkby there is a singular monument, called by the neighbouring people the wain stones, which, according to the most probable etymology of the word, may denote the stones of lamentation, and are probably Danish, erected in memory of some Danish chieftain slain here. It consists of a rude collection of stones, some of them of an immense size, and all of them apparently in their natural position, except one which stands erect, and appears to have formed a part of some ancient Cromlech. Population, 517."
"GREAT DROMANBY, in the parish of Kirkby in Cleveland, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh, ½ mile WSW. of Kirkby in Cleveland."
"LITTLE BROUGHTON, a farm house in the parish of Kirkby in Cleveland, township of Great-Broughton West division of Langbarugh; 1½ miles ENE. of Kirkby in Cleveland."
"LITTLE DROMANBY, a farm house in the township and parish of Kirkby in Cleveland, west division of Langbarugh; ¾ mile SSW. of Kirkby in Cleveland."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]