GENUKI Home page    Kirkby Ravensworth Parish<br>main page Kirkby Ravensworth
Parish
main page

KIRKBY RAVENSWORTH:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"KIRKBY RAVENSWORTH, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.N.W. from Richmond, comprising the townships of Gayles, Kirkby on the Hill, New Forest, Newsham, Ravensworth, Whashton, and a portion of Dalton, and containing 1685 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with 400 private benefaction, 400 royal bounty, and 200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester, as impropriator of the rectory, which is rated in the king's books at 25. 5. 2. The church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Felix, is a handsome edifice, built, in 1397, on the supposed site of a more ancient one erected by the Saxons. Near it are the grammar school, and hospital of St. John the Baptist, founded, in 1556, by Dr. Dakyn, then rector, who endowed them with lands, &c., at East Coulton, now producing about 1300 per annum. The school is free for all who apply for instruction in the classics; the master receives a salary of 200, and the usher about 70 per annum. The hospital is for the reception and maintenance of twenty-four aged persons of both sexes, who must either be natives of the parish, or resident for ten years within it. The government of the whole is vested in two wardens, elected biennially by ballot, who, with the master of the school, and the inmates of the hospital, form a body corporate, and have a common seal. Here are extensive remains of a castle built by Bodin, ancestor of the Fitz-Hughs."


"DALTON, a township in the parish of KIRKBY RAVENSWORTH, western division, of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.S.E from Greta-Bridge, and containing 265 inhabitants. An annuity of 40 is paid by the Master and Wardens of Kirkby-Ravensworth hospital to a schoolmaster in this township, for the education of the poor children, and of those from Newsham; and there is a small endowment of 3 a year, bequeathed by Thomas Buckton, for which three poor children are instructed. Within the township is a place called Castle-Steeds, where are the remains of a contra xstira, on a slip of land above the conflux of two rivulets, near which passes the Roman Watling-street."


"GAYLES, a township in the parish of KIRKBY-RAVENSWORTH, western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.N.W. from Richmond, containing 218 inhabitants."


"KIRKBY ON THE HILL, a township in the parish of KIRKBY-RAVENSWORTH, western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.N.W. from Richmond, containing 161 inhabitants."


"NEW FOREST, a township in the parish of KIRKBY-RAVENSWORTH, western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 11 miles W.N.W. from Richmond, containing 73 inhabitants. An individual, whose name is unknown, left a rent-charge of & 12 for teaching poor children."


"NEWSHAM, a township in the parish of KIRKBY-RAVENSWORTH, western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.E. from Greta-Bridge, containing 511 inhabitants."


"RAVENSWORTH, a township in the parish of KIRKBY-RAVENSWORTH, western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.N.W. from Richmond, containing 31,7 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"WHASHTON, a township in the parish of KIRKBY RAVENSWORTH, western division of the wapentake of GILLING North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.W. from Richmond, containing 140 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014