GENUKI Home page    Kirkby Ravensworth Parish<br>main page Kirkby Ravensworth
Parish
main page

KIRKBY RAVENSWORTH:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"KIRKBY RAVENSWORTH, (or Kirby-onthe-hill), a parish in the wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Richmond, its post town. The parish contains the townships of Kirkby Hill, Washton, Gayles, Dalton, Newsham, and New Forest. Here are extensive remains of a castle built by Bodin, ancestor of the Fitz-Hughs. The village is considerable, but the inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value 120, in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester as appropriator of the rectory. The church, dedicated to SS: Peter and Felix, stands on a considerable elevation, and forms a landmark for mariners. It is an ancient edifice, erected in the latter part of the 14th century, and has a tower containing a clock and two bells. The parochial charities produce 1,243, the endowment of Dakyn's hospital and free grammar school. The hospital was founded in 1556 by John Dakyn, D.D., and provides for 24 aged persons, who were either born in the parish, or have been resident there at least ten years. Christopher Cradock, Esq., is lord of the manor."


"CASEY GREEN, a hamlet in the township of New Forest, and parish of Kirkby Ravensworth, wapentake of Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the N. of Richmond, which is a station on a branch of the North-Eastern railway."


"DALTON, a township in the parish of Kirkby-Ravensworth, wapentake of West Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York, 2 miles N.W. of Kirkby-Ravensworth, and 6 N.W. of Richmond. It is situated on Watling Street and the Richmond branch of the North-Eastern railway. There is a chapel of ease, and an endowed school. At Castle-Steads, within this township, are traces of a summer camp of the Romans, situated above the conflux of two rivulets."


"GAYLES, a township in the parish of Kirkby-Ravensworth, wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 5 miles N.W. of Richmond. The Duke of Northumberland is lord of the manor, and owner of the soil."


"HALL GATE, a hamlet in the township of New-Forest and parish of Kirkby Ravensworth, North Riding county York, 5 miles N. of Richmond."


"HELLWITH, a hamlet in the township of New Forest, and parish of Kirkby Ravensworth, North Riding county York, 6 miles W. of Richmond."


"NEW FOREST, a township in the parish of Kirkby-Ravensworth, wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 10 miles W. by N. of Richmond."


"NEWSHAM, a township in the parishes of Kirkby-Ravensworth and Barningham, wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 3 miles N.W. of Kirkby-Hill, and 7 N.W. of Richmond. The village, which is inconsiderable, is wholly agricultural. A large portion of the land is in wood and moor."


"RAVENSWORTH, a township in the parish of Kirkby-Ravensworth, wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Richmond. At the Conquest it belonged to Bardulf, and was given to St. Mary's abbey, at York. There are traces of an ancient castle, which is said to have existed before the Conquest. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans, also a parochial school."


"WASHTON, a township in the parish of Kirkby-Ravensworth, wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Richmond."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014